Sunday, June 10, 2007

Contempt or Content

We are now living in our new home...still painting and cleaning the old one, but living in the new one. It has been a bit of a roller coaster for me. I think about the fact that we will soon be giving the keys back to the landlord of the old house and it makes me kind of sad. I think to myself...that is where I brought two of my three babies home to. I remember things like Matthew pulling himself up to the patio door and watching Mark play outside while he (Matthew) could only bang on it. I remember how Noah army crawled down the hall way (he never learned to crawl the traditional way). I remember how comforting my home was when Chris lost his job at Ruby's. It seemed as though that was the last safe place I had to go to. I remember rollerblading through the neighborhood as Matthew rode in the stroller, the wind blowing through his wispy hair. I remember the smell of my honeysuckle tree as it bloomed in the spring. I remember Noah running down the sidewalk waving good-bye to any and every visitor who came to the house--including the Schwan man. I remember the boys growing big enough to finally climb the tree, and I remember the newly broken arm. So there are lots of memories attached to the home. Yet at the same time, we were literally living on top of each other. 1300 square feet only takes 5 people so far. And we have been praying for a bigger place. Now that we have it, I feel disconnected from it. And all the while I hear the Lord saying, "Child--DO YOU WANT TO GO BACK TO EGYPT?" See God's people were in bondage for years. Finally, the Lord delivers them and they no longer have to make bricks for someone else--He tells them there will be a land for them flowing with milk and honey. No longer will they be slaves. So they go...but after a while they begin to complain. (Exodus 16:3)

I have come to believe that familiarity does not breed contempt, but CONTENT! I was familiar with what I had--therefore I was content. When we signed closing papers the title company ran the numbers and showed us on paper how wise it was to buy a home. And doesn't God tell us to grow in wisdom? The other night the boys were all three spread out on the floor and there was still room for Chris and I to sit on the couch. WOW! That is what I prayed for. Mark and Matthew had bunk beds that we could never take apart in the old home--now they can no longer be called bunk beds (Matthew tells me) because they are not together. I have more kitchen cabinets than I have dishes. My guests can use the bathroom without me having to help them shut the door, and I don't know how many times Chris and I have lost each other in the new house because there is so much space--it's quite comical. Yet, I still feel a pull to the old--what I knew. Aren't we all like that? We are given the gift of singing and we'll sing, as long as it's not a solo. Others of us are given the gift of leadership and we'll lead as long as we know where we're leading. Yet, it's in the solos, and the unexpected situations that God can bless us the most. I know this house is a blessing, and I want to receive it. It helps to hear the excitement of others as they come over. Knowing where we came from and where we are, everyone has been quite enthusiastic about our home. It is from those moments that I draw the most strength, and try to remember that this is a gift from God. And no gift should be squandered.

So...if you would like to come see our home, please know that you are welcome (just excuse the boxes), and know that not one word you utter goes to waste--your support and encouragement are used by God to remind me of just how very much He loves me...and the new house doesn't hurt either! ;-)

3 comments:

Gayla said...

I am so very excited for you guys....I don't even know if you know how excited I am for you. And you know what???? There's already some memories that have been made at the new home. I remember our first meal there, late, late that night. I remember Noah - opening the refrigerator and telling me that it was back to normal. I remember that low branch, hitting Sal and I in the head. I remember watching your boys in their new home and tears coming to my eyes as they ran around, so excited. I remember Jonathon and Mark, sitting together in the big new chair, like only best friends can. I remember sitting at your dining room table and thanking God that my friends had gotten this house and that it seemed like it was just down the street from me. I remember seeing your back yard for the first time and telling you it had potential. I remember calling you before you close and telling you that your lawn had been mowed and then thinking I should have left it to be a surprise but I couldn't because I was so excited about your house! I can't wait to see what memories we make this week and in the weeks to come. I can't wait for those belly laughs and the visits until the late hours come. I can't wait to pray together. I can't wait to watch our children grow up together. I can't wait to see how God blesses you next. It has been through your blessing, that I, too, have been richly blessed. I love you guys!

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

Hello New Home Owners!!!
Consider this my "visit" since Lubbock isn't a close drive from New York, but SOMEDAY, I plan on coming and visiting for real! We've known each other longer than I have known anyone, and I consider you my "best bud." (Hey.. us female trombone players are few and we have to stick together!)
I know exactly what you mean about your house! We moved from a 1600 sqft house to one that is not quite 1200 sqft. With 3 kids and one on the way.. it's WAY too small! But I know I have been put in this house for a reason, so I have accepted it and will wait for what He has in store for the next 3 years.
Your old house has memories, but think of what the future will hold in your new house! You will always have the memories...now it's time to make new ones! Bigger ones!
God Bless you my friend!

Sarah said...

Change is good! Glad you guys have your very own place now!