Friday, May 20, 2016

Scratching my way to forgiveness

It's May, that means crazy busy days filled with concerts, ceremonies, and field trips. Some days I meet myself coming and going. Yesterday, I put my shoes on at 8:15 AM and did not take them off until after 10:00 PM. Man, were my feet happy to be free!

Today was no different. I picked up Matthew at 1:00, deposited him at tennis lessons at 2:00 and had to be at Middle School at 2:20 to chaperone End of the Year bingo. As they were playing, one sweet 6th grader said, "I feel like a senior citizen today." Kids are funny. I had not prepared myself for the craziness that would ensue. But Bingo is not the point of my post, so I digress.

I went straight to the school after dropping Matthew off at lessons so I was a little early. The district had the landscapers there maintaining the grounds. I was checking my messages when a landscaper walked behind my van carrying a weed eater. He hit it. My Van. With his weed eater. I looked into my rearview mirror and he didn't even stop. To say I was irritated was an understatement. I flung open my door and began walking my van. When I got to the back I found the lovely scratch. The landscaper had exchanged his weed eater with a leaf blower, and was heading back my way.

He saw me rubbing quite vigorously. He stopped and asked, "is everything ok ma'am?" I gave him a very short NO. He asked, "Is that a scratch?" I gave him a very short YES. He asked, "did I do that?" Again, I answered yes. (I didn't want him to get confused by lengthy answers.) The next thing he said was, "It's not coming out is it?" My vigorous rubbing was his answer. Then, very aprehensively, he added: "do you want me to go get my manager?" At that point I finally stood up and looked at him.

He looked to be the age of my oldest son. Working honestly, but awfully hard, as a landscaper. He was nervous. He was taking ownership for his carelessness. After all, who knows what kind of repercussions he would face after his manager took care of this scratch. And in that moment I had a choice to make. I could demand to speak to his manager. I could require them to pay for a good body shop to buff it out. Or I could forgive him and let him off scott free, leaving me someone else to pay for the damage.

I decided to forgive him. I looked at him, and told him that he did not need to go get his manager. I understood accidents happen, but he needed to be more aware of his surroundings as he carried that equipment. The relief flooded his face. His shoulders relaxed, and he said "yes ma'am. I will. I'm sorry. Thank you ma'am."

The scratch isn't gone, but I have to tell you that I felt better. He was careless, he caused damage, he should be held liable. So how do I feel better letting him off? Because I have a son his age, and when he was 16 his first job was landscaping one summer. It was hard work. He got up at 6 AM 5 days a week and got home at 6 PM every night. He lifted heavy equipment with his scrawny 16 year old arms. He dropped trashcans full of grass trying to lift them into the dumpster. He handled equipment that was worth more than he made all summer. And I would hope that someone would do the same for him, if he had done such a thing.

And...my Father did the same thing for me. He sent Christ to die on the cross and pay the penalty for my sin, and he did it because He loves me, because He knew I could never pay the cost. On most days I am far from being like my Father. I get irritated, I am impatient, I judge people unfairly, etc., etc., etc.  But today, I hope He was pleased. I hope He looked at me and said, "She's not a lost cause after all."

Who knew a scratch in my bumper would teach me so much? Would it be crazy to say, I'm thankful for this moment? It taught me that forgiveness costs someone...always. It taught me that God is growing me, and some things are sticking. And tonight, I will be praying for that young man, in the hopes that today taught him something too.

No comments: