Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Year in review

I sat down tonight to look over my blog...consider why I blog...determine how much it is giving me. When I started going back I realized that it has been a year this month that I have had this online journal. WOW! I am amazed.

I have tried many things before, weight loss, humility, compassion, anger management, HOUSEHOLD management, organization, staying on top of laundry, meal preparation... I could go on and on but I think you get the point. The only thing that all of these things have in common is I have failed at them. I still weigh the same as I did last year, I still get mad at my children (and husband), my house still looks like organized chaos (on a good day), and my boys still remind me the night before they need them that they no longer have clean socks. Yet somehow this blog has survived.

It has survived childish family, mountains of laundry, burnt popcorn, dental work, foot surgery, car repairs, eczema and impetigo, house hunting, broken appendages, moving, pet deaths, camera repairs, summer vacation, school changes, open house, misunderstandings, and S.A.D.

I wondered why as I read over it. But for me this really is enjoyable--it really is therapy. I don't think that my ramblings are at all making an impact on the world for better or worse, but they are making an impact in my world. These entries have given me the chance to remember the joy, the pain, and the growth I have experienced this past year. They are physical reminders of God's faithfulness. In biblical times men would build altars, with thankful hearts, as a testimony of God's kindness in their lives. Abram built one in Genesis 12:8 and Jacob built one in Genesis 28:18. They were to be testimonies of God's goodness and all who passed by them would know something great had occurred there.

And maybe that is what my blog is--it is my physical reminder of God's goodness to me. I do not worship my blog, I worship the one who gives me the words to write my blog. I do not worship the dear ones who comment on my blog (although your words always make me smile), I worship the one who has brought even these into my life.

While I have no college degree, I have very little "formal" training in the world's eyes, I have a testimony. And it is my prayer that my little blog is a physical reminder to all who read it of God's goodness, and if He can bless me in my lack luster job at this life, I know He longs to bless you too. When He does, share your reminder with me, so I may rejoice with you, and together we can proclaim to the world that God is good.

No comments: