Monday, April 14, 2008

God's sweetness wrapped up in a little boy


Last night, I had Noah with me as we were on our way home from a political function. When it is just he and I, he will really open up...as I've shared with you in other posts. Sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's serious. But he always makes me smile.


I don't know how he got on the subject of his eczema, but I try not to bring it up because the less he thinks about it, the less he scratches--or at least I hope the less he scratches. A lot of times the itching is linked to his emotional state. If he is tired, frustrated, or scared he will scratch.


But last night he was talking about his eczema. I hate to admit that sometimes I tune him out due to the high volume of talk, I mean traffic, that I face as we drive down the road. But I caught the following tidbit and I am so glad God snapped me out of oblivion in time to hear Noah's words: "but even if God does not take my eczema away I will still obey Him." I nearly ran onto the curb as I heard his words.


Now, before you think my children must be some mutant robots who are programmed to spew such sweetness from their mouths, please know that they too fight with one another, they too fuss over doing chores, they too talk back when we've placed too much on them (or just asked them to do their chores). But I pray for moments of clarity like this in their hearts.


And it makes me think of myself. When I pray for something and God doesn't answer, do I continue to walk beside Him? Or do I sit down in the middle of road and pout? There is one particular person (well call this person D) I have been praying for over the last 12 years. And honestly, it seems as though our relationship is getting worse instead of better. The distance between D's heart and mine could literally span the Grand Canyon. I told one of my friends the other day that I am to the point of stopping my prayers for healing in my relationship with D. She was so sweet to remind me that nothing is impossible with God. And I asked her "yeah, but what if D doesn't want to change? God won't force D to change."


Then, last night when Noah said what he did, I realized that HE trusts God to do whatever God sees fit--even if He never heals Noah's eczema. Am I trusting God to do the same in my life, even if the relationship with D never changes? Is my refusal to continue in prayer basically saying that this problem is now too big for even God to handle? Am I saying that I no longer trust Him to take care of it because He has not done so yet? My faith is so small compared to Noah's. My belief is so small compared to God's faithfulness.


Lord, help ME to change. Even if D's attitude never changes, help me to walk in obedience to you. Help me to remember that I have been forgiven much, and compared to that others offenses are so small, including D. Allow me to be an instrument of your peace. Fill me with your love, and when I see D or D's family help me to love them as YOU would love them--love them through me, in spite of me. And even if D never changes help me to seek you in obedience. I love you. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

1 comment:

Andrew Clarke said...

You make an interesting comparison. Every mother (may I say 'and father' ) prepares their child for a world they will not see, a future they will not share because in the right order of things, children live on when their parents depart this life. It is cause to be thankful there is a constant to cling to: the Majesty and the Love of God, and the company in life of Jesus and the indwelling Holy Spirit.