Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Day in the Life of...

Well, to start off this is my 100th post!!! YAY to me! And thank you to my three faithful readers. For coming with me on this crazy, soap box of a journey. It's been an honor to know you are right there too, traveling through this life with me, and a gift every time you remind me of that very fact.

But for today's post I thought I would give you a glimpse into a day in the life of a stay at home mom. A SAHM. And this is not even one of my busiest. So grab some cocoa and sit down as I tell you all about it.

6:45 wake up. Prepare for day. Make omelets for breakfast.
7:00 Wake children up
7:05 Go back to wake up oldest who can sleep through a hurricane
7:06 Threaten oldest with serious chest rubs if he doesn't GET UP. RIGHT. THIS. MINUTE!!!
7:07 Help Baby get dressed
7:09 Comb hair for youngest two children
7:11 Make lunch for oldest. Pray that he remembers to get it out of his locker instead of ordering a tray and bringing full lunch box back home.
7:30 Apply medicines and lotion to baby's eczema riddled face. Remind him not to scratch at school.
7:35 Send all three off to school--chauffeured by Daddy.
7:37 Clean up kitchen and living room
8:15 Answer door to mother bringing niece and nephew. Visit with Mother for 20 minutes.
8:40 Put on a load of laundry. Just washed jeans Friday.
9:00 Put on second load of laundry. I THOUGHT I washed jeans on Friday.
9:45 Fold first load of laundry. Send husband off to work.
10:20 Dry Second load of laundry.
10:45 Answer phone. It is middle child. "Mommy. My glasses broke. I didn't do anything to them they just snapped." Promise to look at them when I go to stuff folders at the school in less than an hour.
10:50 Put on third load of laundry. Wonder why the dirty hamper still seems full. Fold second load of laundry.
11:15 Leave house with niece and nephew in tow.
11:20 Arrive at Target to pick up cute baby pictures.
11:25 Leave Target with niece and nephew in tow.
11:40 Arrive at school.
11:45 Pick niece up from floor after she runs into a giant sized, rolling bulletin board. Bulletin boards don't give much.
12:15 Completed both classroom sets of folders. Leave school with battered niece and stunned nephew in tow.
12:20 Order lunch from Chili's.
12:40 Leave with lunch from Chili's.
1:00 Arrive in little sister's hospital room with children and lunch.
1:03 Devour lunch since it is my first meal of the day. Comment from across the room, with a full mouth, about how beautiful my new niece is.
1:35 Hold new niece.
2:00 Still holding new niece.
2:15 Announce to children we must go.
2:35 Finally give new niece back to my little sister and take the children back that I brought.
2:38 Stop in parking lot to let nephew pick up dropped cup.
2:42 Stop in parking lot to let niece pick up dropped cup.
2:45 Push...I mean help niece and nephew into van because after 10 minutes in 30 degree weather I am cold, and can no longer feel my face.
3:03 Arrive to pick up two of my boys at school.
3:05 Get boys in van--did not freeze! I LOVE MY BOYS!
3:12 Arrive at eyeglass store. Pray Matthew's glasses are still under warranty.
3:27 Get the good news that warranty is still valid. Help Matthew pick out new glasses.
3:28 Proceed to threaten one child within inches of their young life if they knock over little old woman by spinning around in store.
3:35 Find glasses, make order.
3:40 Get all four children into van proceed to Wally world to buy dinner supplies.
3:42 Almost rear-end man who backed into parking spot I rightfully tried to pull in to.
3:45 Get into store grab basket.
3:47 Realize public beating is not acceptable any longer. Pick up one child and put her into basket. She cries from embarrassment.
3:52 Finally tell Noah that I have Heard "Just pick your head up and don't worry about it at LEAST 4 times. I think Ryleigh gets it."
3:57 Get to register. Am pleased that I finished shopping with 4 kids within 10 minutes.
4:02 Am NOT pleased that I am still standing at register waiting for cashier to figure out what the code on his screen means before he scans my 9 items.
4:06 Leave with purchase and all four kids. Rush (within the speed limit) to pick up oldest at middle school.
4:13 Arrive at middle school. Realize I am the only bad parent who has left their child to wait in 30 degree weather for his mother.
4:20 Arrive home. Unload children. Unload groceries.
4:23 Realize water in washer has been running for 5 1/2 hours. Luckily, (can you say that when your water has been running for 5 1/2 hours?), the drain got stuck in the open position so the washer did not over flow.
4:25 Ask younger three to stop fighting over Mr Potato Head.
4:27 Tell younger three to stop fighting over Mr. Potato Head.
4:28 DEMAND younger three stop fighting over Mr Potato Head.
4:30 Remember I have not taken my blood pressure medication today. Take it quickly.
4:32 Put younger two down for, their safety, I mean their nap.
4:45 Begin to cut up onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, spinach, zucchini for new minestrone soup recipe.
5:15 Remind older three that if they wake up younger two with all their ruckus they will spend eternity in their rooms.
5:30 Tell the middle child in need of glasses that we WILL GO WHEN I AM DONE WITH SUPPER. Besides the eyeglass store is still open for another hour and a half.
5:50 Take middle child to eyeglass store.
6:12 Return home from eye glass store.
6:30 Add remaining ingredients to soup.
7:00 Sit everyone down to dinner.
7:05 Enjoy first bowl of soup.
7:17 Enjoy SECOND bowl of soup. Realize bread tastes better crusty.
7:45 Help mother load up niece and nephew.
7:50 Thank God, Praise God, Worship God because I only have three children.
8:00 Help three children practice musical.
8:45 Explain that musical is THIS Sunday and you DO NOT spell Deliverer D-I-L-V-E-R.
8:47 Watch child check script to prove he's right.
8:48 See his disappointment when he realizes he's not--don't bother waiting for an apology.
9:00 Put everyone to bed. Tell younger child that his room is unacceptable. Hear him promise to clean it...'Tomorrow. But will you give me a dollar when I'm done?"
9:05 Begin Blogging.
9:08 Am told by middle child who has gotten out of bed that he is down to his last pair of socks. Acknowledge his comment with an absent minded nod of the head before he wastes 10 minutes trying to get my attention.
9:37 Realize NO ONE picked out clothes for tomorrow. Stop blogging to pick out clothes.
9:57 Sit back down to finish blogging.
9:59 Finally finish post. Now I have socks to fold. And lunches to make. Hope to be in bed by midnight.

Wonder why I am always tired? Maybe tomorrow I can wash FOUR loads of clothes. This time I'll stay home til the final load is complete. Maybe then my dirty hamper will be empty.

11 comments:

Mothership said...

I completely understand. I get blips in my day. For instance, I need to get dressed so I go into my room to get dressed. Then I notice I forgot to make my bed, so I make my bed and pick up husbands dirty clothes to take to the laundry. While I'm by the machine, I start a load. Then, one of the kids needs me for something and before you know it, I'm still trying to get dressed at noon!

We SAHM's should get some monetary reward.

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

Oh my goodness! Have you been videotaping me??? This was TOOO funny! Thank you so much for sharing that we SAHM's all have the same struggles, same joy, same threats, I mean encouraging words, to our children! I LOVED it! You are too funny!!!

I don't think anyone could afford to pay us SAHM's!

Gayla said...

No...you weren't the only bad Mom who left their middle schooler out in the cold! I did too. However, mine chose NOT to put his coat on AND to push up his sleeves. There were others out too.....I was going to let Mark sit in the car with us until you got there but you pulled up as we were asking. Maybe the cold bothers us more than the kids! Jonathon just couldn't seem to understand why I threw such a fit over the fact that he hadn't put on his coat!

Mommahen said...

Mothership, how wonderful to have you visit! And it is such a relief to know that I am not the only one who sometimes wanders around the house in my pj's til noon. Not because I am relaxing, but because I can't find the time to change! Yesterday it was between loads one and two.

Tracy, the ultimate, crafty, stay at home mother! OH to be as time wise as you are! No I was not video tapping you. You probably would have been dressed before preparing the omlets! And I KNOW Chris could not afford to pay me as all those jobs add up to more than he makes. But I am most in awe of working moms. They do all of that PLUS work all day OUTSIDE the home. I will never know whow they get it all done.

Gayla! Isn't it funny they don't think it's cold then a week later when they are suffering with bronchitis they wonder why?! But I read somewhere that a sweater is what a child wears when their mother feels chilly. Thanks for checking on my baby (even though he is 12). Glad you stopped by.

Sarah said...

Whew! I am tired after just reading! God bless ya!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You sound like a BUSY mom! You could definitely learn to sew or knit (actually, I crochet, not knit)! Ask any lady in a Walmart fabric/yarn department if someone would be willing to teach you. You would be amazed! Have a great weekend!

Rachel Anne said...

This was an entertaining and delightful view into your life.....and I'll bet millions of other SAHM's can relate. I tend to forget the loads in the washer and have to REwash things so they don't mold (sigh)

It's the minute by minute arguing that cracked me up...who knew a Mr Potatohead would create such a stir??

You've GOT to save this one to go back and read when your kids are bigger! :)

Erin said...

You get to wake up your children! My children wake me up :::yawn::: Yes, what happened to the good ole days of public beatings, good times, good times. No they were not, but completely understand your day.

Thanks for stopping by for some coffee.

Camille said...

I love it. You have summed up my days, at least the feel of my days, since my kids are not in school yet. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Anonymous said...

I didn't marry until I was 40, and my husband had 3 grown sons. I know now what I missed by not having kids of my own.

Made me smile though.

Sarah said...

Did you add "Going to Sarah's house to put her silly dogs up?"

Ok, Gayla tagged me, so I have to tag you....go to my blog.