So here we sit in a new year. What is it about the start of a new year that offers so much hope? What is it about the ending of an old year that sometimes brings so much joy? I mean the only difference in the problems of 12/31/08 and the hope of 1/1/09 is really only 24 hours.
What if instead of waiting to rejoice that a new year is here, what if I lived in the joy and hope of every new DAY?! Hope carries over from one old year to the new one. Why can't I carry that same hope over from one night to the next day?
Instead of waiting until December 31st to think about all of the wonderful gifts I've received, why don't I rejoice at every new discovery I stumble upon in the course of my day?
Instead of reminiscing over the year in the review, wouldn't it be much easier to assess if I did the day in review?
I guess I am pondering so much because while the end of 08 was spent with some wonderful friends/eternal family members, and the beginning of 09 seemed so hope filled, we are already dealing with heart ache. Eight days in to the New Year and Sunday found me at the altar asking "How much longer God will you allow this to go on?"
It's easy to get bogged down. Especially when your problems carry over from year to year--day to day. Hope lasts for a moment. Then the despair returns, the respite is gone. Why? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Shouldn't we be so overwhelmed with hope that our problems seem like the smallest grains of sand in our Father's hand?
This past week we got word that a precious man was losing his father. After I got off of the phone the boys rushed me with questions. "What's Wrong?!" They heard the seriousness in my voice. I explained the situation, that this man had less than 24 hours to live, and went on to tell them that the most important thing we can do right now is pray for this man losing his life and his son who we love so much and his family. Matthew immediately said "I will pray that Jesus is in his heart and will keep him from hurting." Then Mark said, "yes but we shouldn't lose hope." I explained that this man's situation was terminal, there was nothing the doctors could do. He replied "Yes, but only God really knows. He decides."
The faith of a child. How I wish I had never lost it. His faith allowed him to hope. Our brother in Christ did lose his dad, but not that day. God gave him a few more hours here. We all prayed for them; we all hoped for them. And Mark reminded me that it is God who decides. So this year, I am striving to trust that. Regardless of the reports, regardless of past results, regardless of other's words, God has the final say. Maybe if I spend more time listening to His voice this year, I too will be able to carry that hope. Care to join me? Let's lay our burdens down at the cross and pick up instead the hope that seeking Him brings.
"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30
3 comments:
How right Mark is. God does have the final say. I sure realized that through this situation. I believe God's timing is perfect, in everything, although it's hard to see sometimes. Even in the hardest times, hope should not be lost. My Mom always told me that EVERYTHING has a purpose and how true that is. I know that good is going to come from this, I'm expecting it, I'm HOPING for it. Thanks for your prayers. I know they were heard.
Elaine, your words are always blessings to me. I love your wisdom and insight! I am so very thankful for your friendship, and even more for your love for the Father.
Thanks for sharing the spiritual lessons you learn from those amazing boys!
Gayla, It's hard sometimes to understand God's timing. What a lesson to be taught in the beginning of the year. It's a lesson I think that humbles us as we learn everyday to rely more and more on Him.
And Sarah, it truly amazes me how my view of parenthood has changed. I just knew I was going to always be teaching my kids--yet in reality--they usually teach me so much more. I pray that God always makes me sensitve enough to learn those lessons.
Post a Comment