Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Where you sitting today?

While it seems as though all my posts depict my children as complete cherubs that never do wrong--nothing I mean NOTHING--could be further from the truth. I just like to remember those nuggets of goodness rather than the boulders of "growth". The following is a prime example.

Chris and I cook and serve dinner every Wednesday for our church family. We serve anywhere from 60 to 70+ people weekly. This means that we have to arrive at church around 5 (sometimes earlier depending on the menu) and we don't leave the serving line until almost 7. That means that my children have to sit down and eat alone. Mark, my oldest loves to sit and talk with every adult who will listen to him. Matthew is usually left to eat and help Noah all alone. We never asked him to do this he's just taken on this role by himself. However, when the adults are in a hurry, Mark may not have anyone to eat with. So...he attempts to eat with his brothers. And this usually means that chaos ensues while we are in the serving line and my children are in the "diner", as we affectionately call it.

Last week one of my sisters in Christ was comforting Noah while another child came running into the kitchen. "NOAH'S HURT! NOAH FELL AND HURT HIMSELF!" I had, I think, maybe an ounce of compassion for him. And this sweet sister in Christ was sitting there trying to explain to me what had happened as I scooped Noah into my arms and very callously walked away. I'm sure I made a great impression with her! But I took Noah and sat him down and privately asked him if was hurt enough to require hospitalization. He replied with a breathy "No". So then I told him to clean it up. And sit there until he was no longer embarrassed. He was chasing Mark, the 12 year old, through the diner because Mark was "annoying him." He slipped and fell against one of the booths and hurt his side. However, he was more embarrassed than hurt. He's not an attention seeker in situations like that. Trust me, I did make sure there was no bleeding skin or broken ribs before I posed the hospital question to him.

After I found out what happened I was embarrassed by their behavior--running through the diner, screaming like cave men, chasing each other like wild animals. I gave the speech about how we are here serving, expecting our children to behave, and they are instead acting like total heathens! "Do you know how hard you make our job?! Do you know what people whisper about you--or US--when you behave that way?!" Everyone hung their heads and pretended to care.

But this week, as we got ready for Wednesday night meals, Noah asked if he could eat his meal in the kitchen. When I asked him why he said, "because you are in the kitchen, and when I am with you I don't want to be silly because I know it will get me in trouble and I know it will embarrass you. AND if I sit in the kitchen you make my food just like I like it." I was impressed with his maturity.

Instead of spurning the discipline that comes when he gets too close to his mom, Noah NEEDS that discipline to finish his meal, and he knows where the best stuff is. Because once he's home there's not another chance to eat. You miss out on your meal at church and you miss out on a meal all together. I supplied, but you did not partake--not my problem.

Then it made me think of me as a believer. It seems as though the closer I am to the Father the less I get in trouble with anger, resentment, gossip, jealousy, judgement, etc, etc. And how often do I get the opportunity to sit with the Father and fellowship with Him? Yet I get distracted with all the things around me and I don't take advantage of that fellowship. Then I come crying to Him that I am still hungry.

"Why aren't You hearing me God?!"

"Hmmmm...did you take the time to sit at my table today? I had all you needed to nourish you. I called for you, and I sat and waited but you did not come. So I cleaned up and put all the leftovers away."

But the great thing about God is He is such a better parent than I am or will ever be. Because if I come to Him hungry, He willingly sets the table for me all over again. And when I am in His presence life tastes sweeter. I am filled with so many good fruits--love, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, goodness, and self control. And you know what, if I need an extra portion of one of those fruits, God serves me again, and again, and again. I can never overeat these things. They don't affect my appearance. In fact, they enhance my appearance.

I am learning, like Noah, that time spent with your parent really isn't that bad. What I think I miss out on in the "diner of life", God more than makes up for in the kitchen.

What about you? What has kept you from spending time in His presence? Today, I encourage you to take your plate and join God in the kitchen. He is longing to fill it with the better things. And I promise when you walk out, you won't be hungry for anything else.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed to be reminded of these thoughts. I would act so much better if He were sitting right here with me.

I can remember teaching and having someone come in the room ... I changed. It wasn't that I was doing anything wrong before they entered the room, but I changed. I became more aware of my tone of voice and my actions. I was a little more cheery and way more positive.

I know that if God walked into the room right now I would sit up straighter ... be a lot less crabby ... and would surely smile more. But He's not right here ... so I slouch, have a bad attitude, and grimace.

I have to learn how to live in His presence. I avoid that lesson because it means I would have to change and that's not ever fun. But it's about more than my posture and even my mood. It's my attitude. Our attitudes are more powerful than we think ... mine needs constant adjustment.

I want to have the maturity of your son. To ask God for what I need not what I want. I need to live in His presence ... knowing He will make me a better woman, friend, and co-worker.

Thanks Elaine ... good thoughts.

Mommahen said...

I'm the same way. When things get really hairy, I will ask "would you do that if Jesus were here, OR would you do that if your pastor were here?!"

But why should I have to ask myself this question? I think about that when it comes to being joyful. I go to church sometimes and "fake it til I make it" becuase I don't want anyone to think otherwise. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong, other than my attitude. But then when I am alone my attitude is different. Why do I allow that to happen? Shouldn't I walk in that joy all of the time?

I so understand where you are coming from Paige. And it's a comfort to know I walk this road not alone.

Dani said...

It is amazing how kids can show you your spiritual flaws. I realize so much that God does for me when I mess up with my children. He IS the better parent...thank goodness. I'm so thankful for those teachable moments that were meant for me...not my children.

CindyC said...

Thank you; that was well said.

Rachel Anne said...

"I supplied, you did not partake." OUCHY! I wonder how many times I pass up a beautiful, steaming plate of delicious food God has prepared for me while I rush past, doing my own thing. What a great illustration, Elaine!!

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. It has been an odd week of trying to figure out where I was before I left off (work wise) and getting my energy back.

mholgate said...

This is a fantastic post! Wow does it speak to my heart! We really do change our actions according to who is in the room with us.

Actually, my kids seem to be on better behavior when we go to a friend's house or out in public because they want to be able to do it again!

Hmmm...I'll be thinking about that one for a while. :)

-Melissa

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

I couldn't have said it any better, my friend! Your words are truly amazing and you always seem to be reading my mind, mood and attitude! You need to put these in a book!!

You've been tagged!!! Come play with my Photo Challenge!