the up close opportunities with the animals,
the water park, the rides. Each of us gets to enjoy something. This year we did a behind the scenes tour. So we got to enjoy Beluga Whales up close and personal. Did you know that the Beluga Whale is the only true whale at Sea World?
Killer Whales are actually the largest member of the dolphin family. Yes, Killer Whales are dolphins. Why? Because they have a dorsal fin. True whales do not. I don't care what they are classified as they are still beautiful.
. 
We also went on to tour the Alamo. Mark and Matthew both studied the Alamo this year and we thought they might appreciate it a bit more this time. Everyone did seem to learn a bit more about Texas History. It made me appreciate even the sacrifices of those men all those years ago. How different Texas would have been if those 200 men would not have made that stand. 
Then, we went to Corpus Christi this year to tour the USS Lexington. In addition to viewing all the fighter planes, and touring the entire ship, they also had a Pearl Harbor exhibit. My great grandpa was a WWII vet. As I toured I would have loved to have him beside me to tell me all about that time. Again, it made us appreciate the sacrifice of so many. 
After a four hour ship tour, the kids all played on the beach. I think the enjoyment of the beach has stuck with me the most this time. But I have a confession. I HATE heights and water. If you have never been to Corpus Christi there is a LARGE bridge that goes over the bay. It is built high so ships can sail in under it to port. And one must cross this bridge in order to get the the USS Lexington. I needed a paper bag to go over it. I've never before prayed so hard for my physical safety. My family got a real kick out of that.
And as for the water, well when I was younger I almost drowned in the pacific ocean. So it scares me. My guys were running out into it like no body's business. Noah has only had 5 swimming lessons, and he can swim, but ocean water is different from pool water. And Mark and Matthew were out in the water neck deep. They all loved it.
But I was a nervous wreak. So how is it that those moments were some of my most memorable? Because despite my fears, they loved it. They smiled bigger, they laughed louder, and they bounced higher as they stepped. And it was then that I realized the ocean is a lot like life. It hits you, it pounds you, and many times it tries to take you down. But if you stop fighting the waves (problems) and look around you, you can find some of the most beautiful things. Shells of all shapes and sizes are brought in by the very waves that never stop. 
When I stopped focusing on the waves and the fear I began seeing some amazing shells. We each left with a bag full. Not to mention I would have missed the opportunity to see the joy of my children. God's treasures are all around us. The trip to Corpus has made me want to focus more on the treasures of life and less on the waves.

2 comments:
It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! I know how you feel about bridges! You guys need to head on down to South Padre and go over THAT bridge - I think it a mile long! When we were there, it was pouring down raining as we crossed it! I didn't know my fingers could grip the door handles so hard, that my eyes could close that tight, and that I could pray like I did! Glad you guys had a good time!
Oh we had so much fun! Taking Ryleigh was an adventure in and of itself. But I loved every minute of it and was so sad that it was over. Now Laundry is as adventerous as it's getting around here!
AND Chris suggested we go ahead and go on over to South Padre since we were SO close, but I told him he better knock me out first. So we simply went over the OTHER bridge to Portland. I know God was laughing at me the whole time.
Post a Comment