Dear Concerned Mother,
I understand your dismay when you look in my son's direction. But please do not hold it against him or me. I promise I have tried (unsuccessfully as you can tell) to drag, I mean encourage, my son to get his hair cut. I attribute his willful determination to keep his hair as a male thing. Maybe he's afraid that some day he won't be able to grow as much hair. Maybe he wants to have proof that at one time he had enough hair to offer himself as a donor. Or maybe he is just thirteen.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do realize he looks like a bushman. Yes, I realize his hair would confuse my great grandpa into wondering if I had birthed a girl into this world and just forgot to tell him. I promise he does own a comb. I promise his father showed him how to use it, and I promise he does in fact use it. It just doesn't help. Please know that there is an end to this phase. But I don't think we've made it there yet. And please know that every disgruntled look you give to my child, will find you apologizing ten times over for your own child when he is thirteen. We are not too poor to afford a haircut, but if you would like to contribute to his college fund we will gladly accept.
I know it may seem like adolescence is one big disagreement filled with testosterone, and well, it is. BUT...just when you think you may loose hope, just when you think you really will turn blue in the face, just when you think the brick wall may actually listen before your child does, remember they once were obedient children. And somewhere...somewhere deep inside...they still are.


5 comments:
Hahaha my parents have been fighting two of my brothers for YEARS to cut their hair. It's longer than your son's. So don't dismay. You're not alone. :)
Haha... my 18 year old brother has white-boy dreadlocks that go halfway down his back. And when he was 14, I wondered what his hair would look like for pictures in my wedding, but fortunately the hair being a little funny looking hasn't had anything to do with an unhappy or rebellious heart. Just a creative streak when it comes to hair. Or something like that... :-)
You have a very handsome young man there.
I can't wait for those teenage years! haha That's a lie.
You should have seen my cousin's hair when he went through that stage. Think 70s fro. =p
The cut came out really nice. I assure you that he will keep well-maintained once he realizes that he wants to impress the ladies...wait, another teenage thing for you to do deal with...hehe
They are still handsome!!!
If that is all they do, you've gotten off easy.
Thankfully we live in Nashville and attend church with lots of music types. Hoepfully they assume dad is in a band.LOL
When my 21 yr old was 16 he had hair down to his shoulders...now, he's in the army and he barely has a stubble over his entire head!
:0)
Post a Comment