Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Trash

I am amazed at all of the stuff my family has managed to collect during our lives in this house. And for some reason we don't want to throw anything away. As a result, I have been overwhelmed simply trying to clean out the magazine stand by the recliner. But I DID find Mark's science fair paper work that he had to call his cousin to get a copy from. Too bad he can't use it now. And I also found some old papers from Matthew's time in first grade. Those, I have to confess, broke my heart. He has been involved in speech therapy since kindergarten, and has made HUGE strides. Socks used to be hocks. And right used to be ite. He was talking ghetto before he knew what ghetto was! We still have to cue him--especially when he gets excited. He'll say I ha-uh go do that. Translation: I have to go do that. So anyway, his speech impediment affected his spelling. Since he was taught in the beginning to spell phonectially, and he could not pronounce all the letters, his writing was not legible.
SO...in my collection of things, as I said, I found some old spelling tests. One grade was a 100. The note on it was "I am so proud!" The next was a 70. The note read "You can do better". I almost cried as I looked at it. He was doing the best he could--to say he could do better? No wonder he had such a low self esteem. I know his teacher at the time was as frustrated as we were. He seemed capable in all other areas--so it was difficult for all involved. But I look at him now and really have to thank God for the woman who came into his life as his tutor. Her name is Sarah, and we love her to pieces. She refuses to take credit for any of his progress...saying "it was really a team effort." But at the point when we began looking for a private tutor we were truly at our wits ends. We had done all we knew to do for him, and he still doubted his every ability. Sarah came in and not only helped Matthew learn to do the things that were difficult, but she helped him learn how to believe in himself. That is truly priceless. And I know it wasn't easy for her. In the beginning his frustration level was HIGH! But she stuck with him and now...it is amazing. He still gets frustrated with himself--today his substitute tutor (who is also a gift from God and went above and beyond her duties by taking Matthew on) said he was a bit disappointed in his fluency score. He read 85 words in a minute. There was a time when we were excited to see 50! But due to Sarah's selfless act of reaching out to him-taking care of him, we not only found a reason to smile, but we gained an amazing friend. How could you allow someone who changed your life so much to be anything less? Matthew is doing a lot better, and even though he still struggles, I know he will not need a tutor forever. I do not look forward to that day. I don't think Sarah or Kim want us coming to their homes on a regular basis for 45 minute intervals just because. At some point we might be considered stalkers. But I never thought my children would lead me to people who forever changed MY life. Yet that is exactly what happened when I met Sarah and Sarah in tum put us in Kim's hands. I can't thank God enough for the gift of Sarah. I hope to see her at Matthew's graduation(s), wedding, and much more. Matthew started the best collection of all--forever friends. And I think I'll put my collection of spelling tests exactly where they belong...in the trash.

No comments: