Monday, February 26, 2007

Oprah had a dream

I just finished watching Oprah's ABC special "Building a Dream". For those of you who missed it, the special was about the academy Oprah built in Africa for underprivileged girls. She went all out and spared no expense to give them beauty. So many of these girls have not been surrounded by such extravagance. Two girls who happened to be sisters were orphans, they watched their parents fighting until the fighting escalated and their father shot their mother then immediately shot himself. Yet years later they still smiled. Every child that goes to school in Africa must buy their own uniform and pay their own school fees--rich or poor. And another girl had been wearing the same school uniform for SIX years. The sweater had a huge hole in the back. This girl did her homework by candle light and made porridge for her mother and sister every night out of oatmeal, salt, and water. And when I say every night I mean every night that the porridge was available. She confessed that there were weeks when all they had was water. She won a contest at school and her prize was a sparkly pink pen that she used to do her homework with. She slept in a bed with her mother and her sister (it looked like a double sized bed) and she lived in a tin house with no electricity or running water. I cried through the whole program.

Throughout the show Oprah talked about how this had always been her dream. And how fulfilled she felt because she was able to do this. I sat amazed as I watched these girls so thankful for this opportunity. And honestly part of me was sad--I thought, "in my life I will never be able to accomplish such a feat. I could never touch so many for generations."

I began thinking that I my life was a waste because I have not/could not do something so life changing. But then I was reminded by the Holy Spirit. (Whenever I think of the Holy Spirit I always think of the most amazing gentleman. Who has the most gentle, kind spirit imaginable). So the Holy Spirit reminded me of the verse in Matthew in which the servant was faithful with little so his master put him in charge of much.

Oprah has many resources. Biblically it is expected that if you have much, much is required of you. So in essence if she did not do something from so deeply within herself she would be irresponsible. And I could turn my TV off and wash my hands of service by simply saying, "I'll never be a millionaire. I don't have to worry about making a difference." But I realized as I watched, that I have a responsibility to my little piece of the world here. I can make a difference with what I have. I can forever change the generations of my family, the lives of those I pass through every day.

And I pray that each of you reading this would be able to say that I have shown you that compassion, that love--HIS love. Because ultimately, what every one's goal should be, regardless if they have much or little, is to hear The Father say "well done my good and faithful servant." It would do me no good to strive/long to change the world out there and neglect what the Lord has placed right here. May we never neglect the world right before us.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Elaine, you DO make a difference! Right where you are! I am constantly touched by your posts. Your love for the Lord and your desire to be faithful are refreshing and inspiring. All this time Sarah has been tutoring Matthew and who but God knew that we would connect at this time in this manner. That you would touch my life in this way. I NEED to hear the things you write about. I am reviving and renewing my relationship with God after letting it stagnate for some time. And some of the things I am studying really seem too big for me and my meager understanding. While it's good to increase in knowledge and understanding of our Savior, all I really need to know is that He loves me in spite of what I can or cannot grasp. Your posts constantly remind me of that and I am so thankful for you and the difference you make by His grace to me.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Lisa! I am so humbled by your words, but also encouraged. It is amazing to know that as fellow believers in Christ we will someday spend eternity together, and I am glad I got a head start on getting to know you!