
I have to share a cute story about my middle child, Matthew. Last night all three of my bright stars were running all over the house, getting knocked into walls, yelling at the tops of their lungs, just being boys. But those are the types of boys that I like better outside--not so much in the house. So I was at the end of my rope when Chris finally stepped in and said, "SHOWERS NOW!" And like good little soldiers off they marched. I wearily kissed the older two good night and sat down to rest--to contemplate the meaning of life--to breathe! I was almost mentally ready to tackle ironing when Matthew comes out of the room. I thought GREAT! He is coming to tell me what he wants for lunch, and how he wants the sandwich cut, and what type of dessert he wants, and that he forgot to brush his teeth. Did I ever jump to wrong conclusions!
Those of you who know Matthew can picture this. He comes out of the room without his glasses, rubbing his eyes with a HUGE burden on his heart. I can see it. He takes several big breaths, and rubs the tears that are trying to form in his eyes. He said, "mom I saw a water bottle on a table today. It was not like my Chili's water bottle that dad got me in Amarillo" (like I did not know where the Chili's water bottle came from). "It was like the old one I had last year--you know the blue one with the flip top that looks like a straw, and it has a white paw print on the front for Wildcats. That one." (Like I had forgotten about the one I bought him last year that he lost). I said, VERY PATIENTLY, "yes. I remember." He said, "Well I found this water bottle at school and I took it. I did not look on the bottom but when I got home I took it out of my back pack and looked at the bottom and it had some initials. It had a P on it. So I know it is not mine." Really? I usually monogram ALL of you things with a 'P'. I mean it is so close to M in the alphabet. No I really did not tell him that, he was already hurting enough as it was. I said "Well that is okay it was an accident and I can see you feel bad. We'll take care of it tomorrow." He said "Will you put it in the lost and found box?" I assured him I would. It was as if a HUGE weight had been lifted from his shoulders and his countenance was now back to that of my happy in the moment little boy. He said Thank you Mommy. And off to sleep he went. I never heard another peep from him. And I chuckled to myslef thinking--really? That was it?
I got to thinking about how many times we come to God, hearts heavy with these problems we just think are HUGE--and we have to share EVERY detail--as if He doesn't already know! And God listens patiently and says, "We'll take care of it." All the while He's thinking that was it--really? She can't sleep because of that? And momentarily we feel better, but then we don't go back to sleep, instead we ponder it wondering the whole time if God really will take care of it. How much better I would feel if I would trust God as much as Matthew trusts me. And how great my responsibility to show him who God is, so when the time comes he can give those little things to God and sleep well, knowing that truly His Father has taken care of it.
Thank you God for my children and the lessons you allow me to learn from them. Help me be the type of parent to them that you are to me.
Those of you who know Matthew can picture this. He comes out of the room without his glasses, rubbing his eyes with a HUGE burden on his heart. I can see it. He takes several big breaths, and rubs the tears that are trying to form in his eyes. He said, "mom I saw a water bottle on a table today. It was not like my Chili's water bottle that dad got me in Amarillo" (like I did not know where the Chili's water bottle came from). "It was like the old one I had last year--you know the blue one with the flip top that looks like a straw, and it has a white paw print on the front for Wildcats. That one." (Like I had forgotten about the one I bought him last year that he lost). I said, VERY PATIENTLY, "yes. I remember." He said, "Well I found this water bottle at school and I took it. I did not look on the bottom but when I got home I took it out of my back pack and looked at the bottom and it had some initials. It had a P on it. So I know it is not mine." Really? I usually monogram ALL of you things with a 'P'. I mean it is so close to M in the alphabet. No I really did not tell him that, he was already hurting enough as it was. I said "Well that is okay it was an accident and I can see you feel bad. We'll take care of it tomorrow." He said "Will you put it in the lost and found box?" I assured him I would. It was as if a HUGE weight had been lifted from his shoulders and his countenance was now back to that of my happy in the moment little boy. He said Thank you Mommy. And off to sleep he went. I never heard another peep from him. And I chuckled to myslef thinking--really? That was it?
I got to thinking about how many times we come to God, hearts heavy with these problems we just think are HUGE--and we have to share EVERY detail--as if He doesn't already know! And God listens patiently and says, "We'll take care of it." All the while He's thinking that was it--really? She can't sleep because of that? And momentarily we feel better, but then we don't go back to sleep, instead we ponder it wondering the whole time if God really will take care of it. How much better I would feel if I would trust God as much as Matthew trusts me. And how great my responsibility to show him who God is, so when the time comes he can give those little things to God and sleep well, knowing that truly His Father has taken care of it.
Thank you God for my children and the lessons you allow me to learn from them. Help me be the type of parent to them that you are to me.
1 comment:
What a huge heart Matthew has!
Post a Comment