Sunday, March 4, 2007

Basketball Anyone?

So here it is...another week gone. This one's been a bit tougher on me. It is not because of anything I am facing, but instead something that Chris is facing. He has since we have gotten married almost 12 years ago desired to work for Brinker International (i.e. Chili's, On the Border, Maggiano's, Romano's Macaroni Grill). It is the gold standard in the restaurant industry (so he tells me). And so far we have really appreciated the company's policies. He was eligible for a vacation only 6 months after he started working there--most places it is a year. And he gets 2 days week off--he has worked at at one place where it was only 1 day a week off. And most of the time he only puts in 50 hours/week. For a restaurant manager that is great!

When we got married he asked are you sure you want to be married to me? He went on to say that he knew so many managers who were divorced or who's wives were bitter. He said it is a tough industry. And he was right. Especially when he was working 6 days a week, 60-72 hours a week I was about fed up! Many times I felt like a single parent. So the conditions he has worked in at Chili's have been pretty good.

But here lately he has been experiencing some real trials. Things at work have been challenging--not being able to retain staff, loss of receipts, health inspections and, it seems like one attack after another. Then he has been trying to get this motor in his car so he works for 4 hours on the motor then goes straight to work and works 10-11 hours. He's exhausted. I know it is taking it's toll on Chris because he called me from Plainview (where he was guest manager at Chili's for the evening shift) in tears. It takes a lot to get Chris blubbering. I am the cry baby in the marriage. But when I heard his broken voice I knew I needed to be strong for him. So I was, by the grace of God. Because it took everything I had not to burst into tears right along with him. I didn't cry though, until I got off the phone. Then I went before the Father and cried my soul out to Him.

Last night was another tough night and Chris did not come home until 2 a.m.. This morning he apologized and I said "maybe this is your Job time. Maybe the Lord is allowing these problems to come at you so you can come out of the fire purified." He agreed, but knowing that does not make the fire any less hot. And I can not walk through it for him. I think that is the hardest part. It seems as though over the last four years it has been one thing after another. So I have to ask what it is that the Lord wants to do in our marriage, in our family, that has Satan so afraid. My husband is tired and I am tired for him. I want him to be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor--to come home focused on family, not work.

Mark signed up for basketball this winter. I love my children but I can not stop the pain Mark felt because he got hit in the face with a basketball during a game. When Mark signed up he knew that was a possibility. Yet it did not discourage him. Now, I will say that the first time he was hit with the ball it stung and he was a bit more timid, but by the end of the season he was under the goal fighting for the ball with boys almost 2 feet taller than him. He learned that getting hit in the face only stings for a while. He learned that at the worst his glasses may get broken. He learned that the game will not stop because his face stings, or his glasses get broken. But he also learned to keep his hands up, to pay more attention, and that if he did not back down the bigger boys would not take his presence on the court lightly. And he knew that I sat on the side lines the whole time ready to cheer him on, or ready to come to him if he called.

So it is with the Lord, He loves us, but that doesn't make the stinging any less. What we need to do is fight for God's promises that Satan tries to rob from us. What we need to do is pay attention, keep our hands up, and not back down. Then Satan will know who he is attacking, and he will know that he will not be victotious in keeping us down.

Therefore, I ask you to pray earnestly for Chris. He is a good man. He did not have a relationship with God in his younger years. Yet he has grown in amazing ways in his walk over the course of our marriage. Please join me as I pray for Chris to endure...for Chris to remember whose he is. And when this storm is over, we will look over and see the Father cheering us on. Thank you for fighting with us.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Elaine, I'm currently doing a study about the OT prophets. It mostly talks about the lengths God goes to redeem His people. I recently finished a section entitled "Stay at your post". It talked about Habbakkuk and how he knew the Lord was sending in an enemy nation to punish Israel, but he did not cry out to God from a hiding place in the hills. He stood atop the city walls and watched for what was to come, ready to go down with the rest of his people on the day the punishers arrived. He protested to God, while accepting that it was to be a certainty. I think there is much to be learned from Habbakkuk's character, whether our trials come from Satan or from the Lord. Like you said with basketball, "Keep your hands up". Like Habbakkuk, stay at your post. There may be many more challenging days ahead for you and Chris. The Lord is mighty and He is God and His respite will come when it is time. I will definitely be praying for you and Chris and the strength to press on. His strength is made perfect in our weakness and He will not forsake you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you--I needed those encouraging words--words of truth. And I say in agreement... AMEN LORD AMEN!