Tuesday, May 1, 2007

How are you using your days?

HI! How are you? Seems as though it has been forever since I have had the chance to sit down and pour out all my life's issues onto the canvas that is my little life story.

You know everyday seems to become busier and fuller, yet I know that all too soon it will end and Chris and I will be left all alone to stare blankly (or passionately depending on what day of the week it is) at one another across the table.

The boys are developing their own social calendars and have important appointments that they can't miss. I never understood how families were not able to eat dinner together. Of course when you are a young mother you feel as though YOUR family will be the exception. But none the less, I just knew we would always sit and eat together after I cooked a good home style meal. Now, if I can get a slice of pizza down them or a burger eaten I consider it a good night.

Tonight we were able to have fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, and spinach. I felt really good giving them cooked spinach. My boys love it so much that I have to open FOUR cans so everyone can get their fill. Hey, it's just spinach--not chocolate cake.

We have three Mondays left in the school year. I only know because I have a friend who is a teacher who reminds me every time we speak. But I can't wait. I can't wait to get up and cook the boys omelets for breakfast, pack sandwiches for a picnic at the park, and eat dinner at 8 if we so choose. I can't wait until they play so long and hard that they come in smelling like wet puppies. I can't wait until we take moonlit walks through the neighborhood. I can't wait until the boys swim so much they turn brown like their daddy (as Mark says). Taking road trips are always wonderful, and I love every trip we take together. However, one of my favorite sayings is "life is not a matter of milestones, but of moments." I am beginning to understand exactly what that means. The boys may not always remember that the summer of 05 we spent a week hitting theme parks in the San Antonio area. But I do hope that they will remember how daddy works 55+ hours a week, yet will still make time to take them to the pool, or the evenings mom spends with them playing Mario Party 5. Those times are precious, and WAY too few. I am glad that the Lord uses even the busy-ness to remind me of what is most important. Summer here we come! "Teach us to number our days and recognize how few they are. Help us to number them as we should." Psalms 90:12


No comments: