Today was the last day of elementary school for my oldest. Mark will be moving on to middle school next year. He has chosen a middle school that really focuses on academics and is excited about the drama, band, swimming, gymnastics programs they have. How he plans on fitting all of those things in, PLUS his required courses I do not know. But with his determination I am sure he will find a way.
He has been at a high performing school since kindergarten and is incredibly bright. he was commended in both math and science on this years TAKS tests. He participated in the science fair, running club, and worked at the school bookstore. He was able to attend Camp Goddard in OK (it is an environmental science camp). He received a presidential award for maintaining his grades at a 3.5 GPA or higher, and he did not receive ONE folder pull this year.
I am amazed at his intelligence. He is gifted in SO many areas. Sometimes I don't think he really knows how much talent he has. It takes him very little effort to achieve something. Why am I going on and on building my son up so much you say?
Well, as I said today was the last day of his elementary career. And some of the parents rented a stretch hummer for the kids to ride around in for an hour, then they were to proceed to Copper to eat and play games. Mark saw the limo and we walked over there. When I asked a parent what was going on this is what she said: "Ummm, we rented the limo to take the kids riding around for an hour then they are going to Copper." Mark: "Mom can I go?" By this time I got the biggest feeling that "we" did not include Mark. The PTA president at that point turns around and says: "it's $20.00 for the limo then whatever they eat at Caboose and the parents are responsible for picking them up from there." She then turns her back on us--never asking: "so does Mark want to go?" He continues to beg me to go. It was CLEARLY obvious at that point that Mark was not one of the "chosen" ones. So I said (as I am standing right next to the parents): "Son I knew nothing about this and it looks like the limo is already full." So we walk off. His teacher sees us and I can tell by the way he is looking at Mark that he felt sorry for him. So we stop and take one last picture with Mr. Pope. He says: "You can be strange, but don't be a stranger." Mark just chuckled and we walked off. He cried all the way to the van and all the way to Chili's.
What is it about my GOOD son that isn't GOOD ENOUGH for those people? Why do parents insist on teaching their children to be snobs? Is our money not as green as theirs? It sure spends the same way? Simply because we choose not to max ourselves out to make our children look as though they stepped off a runway doesn't mean we don't have the ability to pay our own way. I almost felt like Julia Roberts when the store clerks tell her that her money is not welcome there. WHY NOT?! So I cried with Mark, and told him that he is an amazing child. He will do awesome things in middle school.
And I wonder, when the world rejects us, is the Lord trying to tell us the same thing? Does He weep when they turn on us. He did when the world turned on Christ. And I know that the Holy Spirit is telling us, "you're good enough for your Father--just as you are. Doesn't matter where you live, or what you wear." "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7. I pray that Mark would remember that those people can seek approval of man all they want, but as for me and my house we'd much rather have the approval of God.
And you know what Mark, HE thinks you're awesome! "Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation!" Psalms 134:13-14 . I agree--what a creation--what a creation! And I feel sorry for you, you nasty parents...because you'll never know it!
3 comments:
We're thankful he didn't go because my children got to see their "brother" and that made their day!
God has amazing plans for Mark. One day that will be clear to him. If I had kids and they wanted to rent a limo, your children would be the first I'd invite. They are the kind of kids I would be proud for mine to associate with. Heck, I'm proud of your kids, and I don't even have any!
Gayla, I feel so glad that Mark has such a loving friend in Jonathon and such a great "little sister" in Clarissa. It did help to take his mind off the disappointment by having someone to go to who accepts him just as he is. And I am sure he had an even better time.
Sarah, I just love you to pieces! You have been so good to Matthew (and we reap the rewards of that simply by association). Our family inherited an amazing friend!
Post a Comment