Thursday, May 8, 2008

Swimming Anyone?

I can't swim. Never learned. I can float beautifully though, as long as I can touch the bottom of the pool. The minute I know I am in water deeper than five feet I begin to sink.

I wonder why that is. Am I subconsciously sinking myself because I know I am in over my head? And why is that? Because amazingly the same water that held me up in four feet can surely hold me up in 6 feet right? Does anyone know the answer to that? I've never allowed myself to float that far so I do not know if the water properties are the same. Maybe the water's density lessens the deeper it gets.

And you know because of my inability and my fear I miss out on a lot. We've taken the boys to Schliterbahn three times and of course we've all loved it (in the shallow end), but my children have never been able to ride the bigger water rides because what if the speed on the major water slide pushes me under the water too hard and I can't come back up? I went to the West coast when I was younger and saw tons of beach goers, but could not join them in the beautiful surf. My hubby (who can't swim either) wants to some day take a cruise. Seriously? Fill the tub too full and I panic and you want to take me out in the ocean? Not my idea of a relaxing vacation. But I know I am missing out on a lot of amazing experiences.

When you go through deep waters and great trouble,
I will be with you.
When you go through great difficulty,
you will not drown.
For I am the Lord your God...
You are precious in my sight...
and I LOVE YOU.
Isaiah 43:2-4

What am I missing in my spiritual walk because I am afraid of drowning? I am so grateful that God will not let me go under. It brings me comfort to read that I am precious in His sight. Sometimes when I am wallowing around in the shallowness that is life, I come out looking anything but precious--to the world.

I love you too Father. And I am glad that you will always keep me afloat.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the new look! It is amazing what we don't do because we think we can't. Wonder what we could do if we were able to see ourselves as God sees us in light of Him working through us.

Gayla said...

Well, we actually want to take the kids swimming this weekend! I will certainly ponder some things while I'm there now! If I don't talk to you before, I hope you have a WONDERFUL Mother's Day. I love you my dear sister!