May 29th another date on the calendar. On this day in history, Bob Hope was born in 1903. JFK was born in 1917. John Hinkley Jr was born in 1955. The song Travelin Man was number one for Ricky Nelson in 1961. The song Brown Sugar was number one for the Rolling Stones in 1971. The price of a postage stamp was raised from thirteen cents to 15 cents in 1978. On this day in history Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay were the first people to successfully reach the top of Mt. Everest in 1953. On this day in history Yuma AZ experienced a major two day long snow storm in 1877. Texas Hill country received eleven inches of rain that caused over fifty million dollars in damage to the areas along the Medino, Hondo, Seco, Sabinal, and Frio rivers in 1987. And for all you sports lovers (A.K.A. my hubby), on this day in history Larry Bird beat out Magic Johnston as NBA rookie of the year in 1980.
But what we celebrate, and what I remember most, is that on this day in history a 19 year old young woman birthed into this world a little baby girl and named her Elaine. In previous years I anticipated my birthday and imagined all of the great loot I would acquire. I never really acquired LOTS of loot, but was always showered with love on my special day. Now that I am older--not telling how much older--the day has become a kind of quiet reflection.
The world doesn't stop. I`don't suddenly become more beautiful, or thinner, or smarter, or kinder. But I do want to reach those goals some day. You see I have learned that just because I am a mom of three, a wife of 13 years, the oldest child, and the popcorn lady for our elementary school doesn't mean that I have achieved all that I can. I am still growing. My birthday is proof of that. Maybe I am not growing taller, but I am growing. God is stretching me, there is so much more He wants me to learn. I guess when I have reached maturity He will call me home (where the calories from the birthday cake will never count). But until then, I pray that I can use the new years He continuously gives me to grow up. Each year is a gift in itself and that alone is all the loot I need.
6 comments:
Hey Elaine ... Happy Birthday.
I've gotten to know you and the boys a little through Sarah. I love what I hear about your family.
Hope you had a great birthday and that that same great attitude spills over into the next day and the next day and the next.
I tried calling the birthday girl several times last night!!! You must have been so busy partying that you couldn't answer! ;) I hope it was a great one. And my dear friend.....you don't look a day over.............hmmmmmm........19! Talk to you soon!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (late) my dear friend! Even though the miles may seperate us, the love and prayers never will! Hopefully sometime in the future we will be able to sit at the table face-to-face and catch up again! I miss my trombone buddy!!!
Awww, Paige how sweet your words are. I love that you stopped by. Please do so any time! Any friend of Sarah's has to be pretty amazing and I am honored.
My dear sister Gayla, I SO LOVE that in your eyes I still look youthful. When I turn 50 I most certainly want to hear your birthday wishes!
Tracy, I miss my trombone buddy too! Mark is in band and playing the coronet. Everytime he has any kind of performance I get nostalgic for all those times passed. And I feel the same way...I wish we could be closer, but please know my prayers go before me and they are always with you.
I love you all my friends. In moments like these I am reminded of how much God loves me because He fills my life with the very best people.
Well, I am a sorry friend! Happy B-lated Birthday! It has been my pleasure to know you only in the last 2 plus years (props to Gayla!). God sure did know what he was doing when he made you, Elaine, in His image. What a reflection you are! When He sees you, He must recognize Himself.
What a mother, daughter, sister, wife, friend, reflection of Jesus you are! The "gifts" God has given you are certainly being used to bless all who know you and are loved by you.
So, with that said, thank you for the gift you are to all of us! Thank you for shining the light of Christ into all of our lives! We are better for it!
I second what Sarah said wholeheartedly!!! God has EVERY reason to be proud of you!!! I know I am thankful for our paths having crossed!
Post a Comment