Monday, August 25, 2008

And So it Begins

Today is the first day of school. We closed out the summer with a picnic fellowship and final jump in the pool. And I am sure that there are a million moms and dads journaling about this day. I met it this year with lots of mixed emotions.

I love my boys tremendously. And sometimes I am a horrible mother to them--honestly. Last week I was ever ready to start the school year, even if the boys weren't. Noah seems to find a way to goad the older two at every turn. And Mark thinks he has somehow amassed all the earthly knowledge there is in his short 12 years. And of course Matthew is stuck somewhere in the middle, usually a part of both conflicts.

But this morning, as I sent them off to school, I realized that I really haven't taught them enough. I need to be a better mother. A better teacher. It's not enough to make sure they are doing their devotionals, I need to be a part of them. It's not enough to encourage them to pray for others. I need to lead the prayers. It's not enough to scold them about being kind and turning the other cheek. I need to model it.

They will learn so much in school this year. Noah, how to be a better reader. Matthew, how to be a better writer. Mark, how to be a better tennis player. But each of them will face challenges and disappointments. Each of them will reach goals and find success. And it is my eternal prayer that they will not want to mourn or celebrate any where else but here.

Eighty days left in the semester after today. I pray I don't miss a single magical memory from one of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a GREAT mother!

Sarah said...

I love those three boys! I am hoping they got off to a good start! Elaine, you are a mother like none other I know! Your boys may not realize how amazing you are, but they will in time. They are all so handsome!

Mommahen said...

Oh Roxanne, I love you so much. Thank you for the vote of confidence. Somedays I really need that.

Sarah, I hope the boys would see me the way you do. And I really do pray that they would always want to spend time with their mom--no matter their age.

The first week is always an adjustment. And so I have to remind myself that this too shall pass. I know though, that someday I will be wishing for these days back. But today...today I am celebrating that it is Friday!!

Mommahen said...

Oh, and I couldn't agree more. I REALLY DO have some handsome boys. Must be the genes. ;-)