Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Double Digits

Matthew turned 10 yesterday. It kind of made me sad. He will never again celebrate a single digit birthday. Somehow there seems to be innocence in single digit birthdays. Or is it just me? While today, he is still a child, his tenth birthday comes to remind me that this big hearted innocent little boy has yet to face lots of growing.

I am so glad that God made each of my children uniquely different. Mark's tenth birthday did not provoke so much thought. Mark seemed ready to grow. Matthew, has come into ten rather quietly. It has been such a joy to watch him...to hear people tell me how sweet he is. And while that sounds like bragging, it isn't. I am very humbled to say I am Matthew's mother. Because I mess up a lot. But Matthew forgives a lot too.

If he sees someone with a need he reaches out to help. He has a heart WAAAY to big for a child. He will help out without ever thinking about what it costs him. Children love Matthew and are magically drawn to him. Last week I had my niece and nephew with me at church. But we serve dinner. So HE, my then 9 year old child, took it upon himself to feed my niece and nephew. He makes me smile. He is an example, even to me, of the unbiased love of Christ.

So he is now a little bit older. And tomorrow he will be a little bit wiser. While I am sad because I know what the world will show him, I am hopeful because I know what has been planted. And I know what grows in his heart. And that growth will be what shades his life and protects his spirit. And just like people are always drawn to the biggest tree on a hot summer day, I know people will be drawn to the refuge that Matthew shows through Christ. How grateful I am to be able to see that.

"He will be like a tree that is planted near water. It sends out it's roots beside a stream. It is not afraid when heat comes. It's leaves are always green. It does not worry when there is no rain. It always bears fruit." Jeremiah 17:8

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a joy and blessing Matthew is! How wonderful that at such a young age he has already touched the lives of so many, young and old. I LOVE Matthew!

Mommahen said...

And Matthew LOVES you! We may be coming to visit. Seems the freedom in 4th grade isn't working on this little boy who needs routine. His grades are surely reflecting it. But we are loving him through it. Even though he thinks we don't. But he is CERTAIN God loves him because God doesn't make Matthew do homework!