Once fall sports start I always wonder what I was thinking agreeing to allow three children to play different sports. Yet we always manage to get through the season. Usually with more color (due to the sun), more knowledge (as the sport gets harder) more fit (as we are ALWAYS running somewhere), and less sleep (as we are ALWAYS running somewhere).
This year is no exception. Mark is on the tennis team at school, a member of the concert band, and a member of a recreational soccer team that plays every Sunday. Sunday games are new for us this year too. Matthew is playing recreational soccer and trying out for the cross country team at school. Luckily, Noah is content simply with soccer. And this is more than fine for me.
But yesterday we were out in the sun from 7:45 until 2:30. Mark had his first tennis tournament, and Matthew and Noah both had games in between there. I love watching them each. Noah is so proud of himself if he just makes it through the game (and I am too). Matthew is a quiet player but knows how to step it up when he needs to. His long legs make him a great runner and a quick defender.
Mark is our surprise. He's always been small. But he's finally growing. He's five feet now. However, he is sometimes over looked in competition because he IS so petite. I was not sure if tennis would be a good sport for him either. Plus, I have never been a big tennis fan and did not know how I could last through these tournaments. Nothing against those of you who are, but the sport just never grabbed me. Until yesterday...
The way they play is basically the first one to four points wins the game. The first player to win six games wins the match. I was able to catch almost all of his first match.
I knew that he had been struggling with serving. I was very nervous for him. But halfway into the fourth game I had to take a child to soccer. So I left Mark. He called me after the match was over, very disappointed. He had lost. I gave him the best pep talk I could over the phone. I promised him that as soon as Matthew's game was over I would be back to watch his next match. It was double elimination so he had one more chance to move on.
I knew that he had been struggling with serving. I was very nervous for him. But halfway into the fourth game I had to take a child to soccer. So I left Mark. He called me after the match was over, very disappointed. He had lost. I gave him the best pep talk I could over the phone. I promised him that as soon as Matthew's game was over I would be back to watch his next match. It was double elimination so he had one more chance to move on.
We made it back to the tennis courts. Daddy had made it in from out of town by this point so we sat and ate a light lunch and waited...
His next game might be his last. Once it started Chris decided to stay. I was once again off to take another child to soccer. At this point I was wondering how many children I had birthed because I was REEAALLY starting to feel worn out and it was only twelve o clock!
Mark called me half way through Noah's soccer game to tell me that he had won and was moving up in the bracket. But still, every game was life or death. I was so proud of him. I remembered the little boy who struggled so much to find his place last year. I remembered how he felt so inadequate at simply being. And all MY love wasn't enough, because I wasn't with him every moment of every day.
By the time Noah's soccer game was over, Mark was in the semi finals. We were all so proud of him. But mind you this is his first year to ever play tennis. And he practiced very little this summer. I was able to watch the last two games in his semi final match. He had come back from a score of zero games to two. And now the score was five games to four in his favor. The score was tied at three to three, and Mark was serving. It was all on the line with this final serve. And his opponent knew how to slam it over the net. Yet, all the way back to the tennis courts I prayed that the Lord would be glorified in Mark's playing, regardless of if he won or lost.
So we were on the edge, waiting for his final serve, when I witnessed the most bold, most faith-filled thing I have ever seen in my life. Mark took his ball and his racket and knelt right there at the line. I looked over at Chris and said, "What. Is. He. Doing?" He replied, "I think he is praying." Mark got up and made his last serve. The boy with the power shot for an arm hit it right into the net! The game was over! Mark won! He was playing in the finals!!
I asked him when he came off of the court what he was in fact doing. He confirmed that he had prayed. I did not ask him what he prayed, I feel that is personal. But I know that in that moment God was completely glorified! MY twelve year old little boy sought God ON THE TENNIS COURT! Sarah, God heard your prayers! I was amazed and overwhelmed.
He's not perfect, I am not perfect. But I see him seeking. I see him reaching. And God is there reaching right back. I pray that Mark will always turn to God. Not only in the tense moments, but in the joyous ones too! I want my boys to KNOW there is no better place than in the shadow of their Father. I was more proud of him for that prayer than if he had won his entire bracket. And I told him that too. BUT, he went on to win his bracket too. God is good. Last year we couldn't see this far. But God could, and I am so glad He sustained us all. I pray that He would continue to dwell with this family, with these children, even though we are all so unworthy. And I am so thankful to Him for allowing ME to witness that moment. My boys may be older, but the joy I feel from being their mother didn't end when they started walking. It's only compounded. And I am forever grateful.
"God can do anything you know--far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around, but by working within us, His spirit gently and deeply within us." Ephesians 3:20 The Message
1 comment:
God has lots in store for your boys! I just know it!
Post a Comment