My middle son, Matthew, has struggled since he started school. I remember it began in pre-k when his compassionate teacher(not) told me--after three months in school--that he was easily distracted and therefore becomes a distraction. Even then he struggled learning and saying his letter sounds. It was not the first time I cried over my sweet baby Matthew, nor would it be the last.
In Kindergarten it was not decided until the last few weeks of school that he would indeed promote the next year to first grade. It took him that long to finally recognize all of his letters even if he could not make their sounds due to a speech impediment. We worked so hard that year to help him recognize letters and know their names. We thought we had made it over a hurdle and were anxious for 1st grade.
Little did we know that first grade had a MILLION more hurdles to jump. For so many reasons we were against retention, but administration was ADAMANT that he be retained. We fought tooth and nail and got him a private tutor. He was brilliant in math, and comprehended everything he was reading even if it took him 20 minutes to read 60 words (Which should have only taken him ONE minute). His tutor, Sarah, was a complete Godsend. We were desperate. Matthew hated school and hated himself when it was time to do homework. Many days brought tears for both of us. Sarah, and her sweet spirit reminded Matthew to stay calm, showed him different ways of learning and gently drilled reading passages into him.
It was a success and he was promoted on to second grade where he continued tutoring with Sarah. He maintained a b average and began feeling a bit more confident every day.
Third grade came and for the first time in his little life he made honor roll. He maintained straight A's all year! Sarah continued meeting with him to help him prepare for the TAKS test. He took it and was two away from commended! We all rejoiced--thanked God for helping this little angel make it through.
So fourth grade came along and we thought "oh this is gonna be okay". His skills are improving and his self esteem is improving. We were told at the end of his third grade year that no leap was as significant in his education than the leap from third to fourth grade. So we knew it would get tougher. But we read all summer, we journaled (although he hated it), and we worked on basic math facts. So we thought we were ready.
Then...it happened again...first grade. Tears about work, frustration, misunderstanding, bad grades. Yet, I've never seen a child work so hard. His effort should give him a 4.5 GPA EASY! Instead this year he is a solid B minus student. That's not bad you say, but, no really, you don't know how hard he works. It is taking all he's got to get him that B minus.
So...we met with the student support team today and they agreed to get him tested for
dyslexia. It is possible that he does not have dyslexia but maybe another learning disability. This is all so new to us, but we are hopeful. No parent WANTS their child to struggle. And if there is anything we can do to help him succeed--we are willing. So we wait...and pray...and hope. Testing begins immediately and within the next month we will meet with the specialist to hear her findings. Would you pray with me? Matthew is a blessing. Anyone who meets him does not walk away unchanged by his kindness. And I want him to know that mommy and daddy will give our very last breath to help him succeed. No child deserves it more.
dyslexia. It is possible that he does not have dyslexia but maybe another learning disability. This is all so new to us, but we are hopeful. No parent WANTS their child to struggle. And if there is anything we can do to help him succeed--we are willing. So we wait...and pray...and hope. Testing begins immediately and within the next month we will meet with the specialist to hear her findings. Would you pray with me? Matthew is a blessing. Anyone who meets him does not walk away unchanged by his kindness. And I want him to know that mommy and daddy will give our very last breath to help him succeed. No child deserves it more.
7 comments:
Having worked with students that have learning disabilities I know a little of your struggle. I've watched parents try to help their children only to run against brick wall after brick wall.
I'm so glad he will be tested. It's tough thinking that he may come out of the other side of this with a "label", but that label will give you some new direction. Knowing the exact areas that he is struggling will help you know how to help.
I will continue to pray for Matthew. I know that it's difficult watching your child carry such a heavy burden and not really be able to help much. But you guys are doing all you can ... I know he gets encouragement from that.
I will pray for Matthew as well..as a Learning Disabilities Specialist who worked with gifted students, and was blessed with a high GT/visually impaired Learning disabled daughter...wow...I so can relate!! After 13 years as a teacher I came home to homeschool Madison when her needs were not being met in the public schools I was a faculty member of...and I had been a public school proponent and not particularly against homeschooling, but definitely never considered I would!! :) There are many forms of dyslexia reading issues...Madison as a preemie, so her issues involves her brain actually conceptualizing vision different than the average bear...but life does go on regardless and we must adapt and go forward!
hugs hugs hugs
Shan
(P.S. you may be my new best friend! Loved finding you from Home Sanctuary!)
Having a child with a "diagnosis" I totally understand your struggles. I never wanted Randy to be labeled, but it has been THE best thing for him. He is able to concentrate so much better and is no longer labeled with unappropriate lables, such as "disrutptive," "daydreamer," "refuses to work." The teachers are more understanding of him and that even though it takes him a bit longer to do something, when he does it he excels! He is in the advanced class and it is amazing the strides he has made... all becuase of a simple word. There is no harm, no dissapointment in a label if it helps your child. That's all we want for them anyway!
We held Riley back this year in Kindergarten and instead of DREADING school every day as he did the first year, he is the first one up, ready to go. He loves school and is proud of the success he has accomplished already.
Paige thank you so much for your sweet words of comfort, but especially thank you for your prayers. They are certainly coveted as we go through this process.
Shan, I LOVE that I have a new best friend! Please come back anytime! And thank you for shedding some light on all of this for me. As much as I want his testing to be over, I am nervous that he won't fit the criteria and we will still be at a loss. It's something to remember that there is more than one form.
Tracy, I am so glad to hear of Randy's progress. I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I almost want Matthew to be labeled just so all of his difficulties will finally make sense--so we can learn how to help him. And I know what it is like to have a child hate school. It was hard to fight for Matthew's promotion, but there were so many factors that wouldn't let us retain him. 1) Because of his b-day he is an older child, so he was already seven when he started first grade. If they would have retained him he would have been in a class as an eight year old with a bunch of six year olds and he was bigger than most of his classmates. And 2) He had a 92 in math, an 84 in spelling and a 68 in reading. We felt that even though he struggled some of it was exacerbated by the pressure he felt from the faculty. We knew if we retained him he would REALLY be a problem as he would be completely bored with his subject material in the 90% of the areas in which he was excelling. But whatever choice a parent makes, it is always made with the love and concern our hearts carry for our children. And what a blessing to you as a parent to see all of Riley's smiles as he reaches each milestone.
Just wanted you to know I am lifting up a prayer for your grandfather's health. May God's faithfulness touch the deepest parts of his heart.
I know your hand-written notes of love and encouragement will bless him!
Oh, how I love that child! Sometimes when it comes it to the red tape of testing, people loose sight of the child. We have a tendency to see the struggles and forget that the child is so much more than how they perform on school assignments/tests.
Thinking back on that time, when they were wanting to retain Matthew, still frustrates me. I wonder, do they know Matthew, really? Do they account for how hard he works? Do they know he adores and respects all adults? Do they know he loves outtings to get ice cream? Do they know what a natural caregiver he is to little Noah? Do they know he knows how to run his little brother's nebulizer? Do they know that when he gets scared at night, he goes to his mom to have her pray over him? Do they know he puts the needs of others above his own?
I just want people in decision making positions to consider Matthew.....all of him. I want them to know he will work and work and work until he gets it.
I love this little boy and I learn more about how blessed I am to be loved by him with each moment with him.
God, reward this little boy for his heart for you. Bless his hard work and effort. Give Elaine and Chris the joy of witnessing their son's sucess, over and over! They all love you so!
Sarah, you paintd such a beautiful picture of my baby boy. I hope you know we love you too. Do you think it would make a difference if I printed out your words and gave them to the test facilitator? ;-)
Post a Comment