Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Camping, Surprises, and Faith

We survived our camping experience, as you well know if you are reading this. I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed sleeping out under the stars.

Everyone else seemed to enjoy tent camping too. And when you live in town (no matter how small that town/city is) you never really get a grasp of how magnificent the night sky looks.

We did manage to get lost looking for the campgrounds. That added a fun element to the trip. We spent thrity minutes yelling at one another--I mean loudly disagreeing about which direction to go--as we drove aimlessly through the desert. When we arrived, we had to set up camp and cook dinner (Chili Dogs) in total darkness. Since we were completely green at this we did not bring any type of lamps like every other camper there did. So we had to use the head lights of the van. Then every time the lights went out we had to rush to the van to turn them back on. We also ate in the van since it was too dark to see our food while sitting at the picnic bench. The result of using the battery so much--the next morning, when we packed up to go--it was dead.

So...we had to call the park rangers to boost our battery. By that time everyone had a good nights sleep and we were no longer calling each other ugly names like we did when we were lost and eating in the semi darkness. So we could all laugh at the dead battery. And it helped to know that this happens so frequently that the park rangers have special battery boosters for such an event.

We went fishing and caught very little, but did laugh at our catches. Of course Matthew always catches the first fish, this time was no exception. I think it is a testament to his quite spirit and patience. Mark got the award for the most unique catch. He caught a turtle. Luckily, Chris was able to remove the hook and while the turtle did bleed we sent him back into the lake where he quickly swam off and we never saw him again. Either he learned to avoid the hooks...or...he died. We told Noah he learned to avoid the hooks. And Mark also got the award for the smallest catch.


There was a big lull where it seemed like we were not going to get anything else. But there were lovely dragonflies skimming across the water,

and being the true fisherman that he was my husband stuck it out, even though he was tired. And as a result, he finally caught the last fish of the day.


We went on to watch the bat flight at Carlsbad Caverns, and Noah worked hard to get his first ever Junior Ranger patch. He was really proud of it since it looks quite similar to the patch worn by the real park rangers, but I'm not sure exactly where it is now.


The bat flight was pretty interesting and I have a new appreciation for those little guys. They weigh only half an ounce and can fly as far as thirty-six miles in one direction looking for food. Can you imagine only weighing half an ounce and having to fight rain, wind, and all sorts of environmental conditions? Like I said, a new respect.

I would certainly go camping again. Roasting Marshmallows was a treat that the boys loved. The quiet night and cool breeze was something I loved. And I treasure the fellowship we all had as we camped, fought, fished, and ate. I am learning to put aside my preconceived notions and fears to give my children opportunities to experience this world and all it has in it. And that makes me very proud of myself.
.

No comments: