Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Eleven Years of Magic

Matthew celebrated his eleventh birthday this past week. I can not believe he is growing so fast. I could gush on an on about how amazing Matthew is. But you would just say that I am his mother, I am supposed to be biased. If you took the time to know him though you'd soon agree with me that he is a pretty great kid. Younger children are somehow "magically" drawn to Matthew. He's extremely patient with them. Matthew is also a natural helper. If I need something done, he's the child I ask. It's always a compliant, sunny "yes ma'am"! He is learning that hard work is a way of life and is beginning to embrace it. Yesterday he had math homework, spelling words, dyslexia words, and social studies homework to do. He decided on his own that he would do his math, and spelling words, half of his dyslexia list, and leave his social studies for later in the week since it's not due until Friday. Every night that we finish his devotional he looks at me and says "thank you for taking the time to read the bible with me." That is my job! I have to apologize to you for not doing it better. But all of these words to say that: Matthew amazes me--completely and utterly amazes me. I continue to pray that he does big things for God right where he is. As I looked through photos to post of Matthew it brought bittersweet memories. Where have I been? Why did I not enjoy more of these moments? But what a joy he's been since birth. And I want to enjoy every minute that God gives me with my sweet gift from God. Happy Birthday Matthew!


Matthew has loved ducks since he was about 18 months old. He carried this duck with him everywhere and we had several back ups in the event that one ever got lost.



He never lost them, but he wore them out.
(Age 2)



Real or stuffed he had no preference. Just as long as it was a duck.
(Age 4)



Matthew's second birthday.



Matthew's third birthday.


Matthew's eleventh birthday.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I adore Matthew. Maybe you are biased, but anyone who knows him would be biased, too. What an amazing spirit he has....positive, hard-working, helpful, and most of all devoted. So many times I have felt like Matthew was put in my life to teach me, rather than the reverse. Grace and strength through adversity.....that's what God shows me in Matthew! What a blessing he is to all of us!

Mommahen said...

Matthew is certainly human, but there are times I think of such biblical children as Timothy, or King Josiah. Who, regardless of their past circumstances, chose to follow God so passionately. Many people were blessed because of that. I feel the same way. How blessed we are because of Matthew's obedience--we get good stuff from God too just because we are near him.

One More Equals Four said...

Happy Birthday, Matthew!

mholgate said...

Hmm...I had a page load error when I tried to post my comment. Oh well!

Happy Birthday to Matthew. You are a great mama!

-Melissa

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Matthew! He sounds like a fantastic kid. You did good mama!

Rachel Anne said...

Happy Birthday, Duck-Loving Matthew! (my husband and son love ducks too)