Monday, September 14, 2009

Nostalgic Reflections

This weekend Chris and I had the privilege of attending a Tech game. They played the Rice Owls and the final score ended up being a blow out 55-10. One of my sweetest friends in the whole world offered to watch the kids, and they adore Sarah, so I did not feel like I was cheating them by leaving them home.

It was also Goin Band Alumni Day. I attended Tech from 93-95, and I was lucky enough to say I was part of the best band in the nation. I'm not being biased here--we really were a great band. But I also joined the band when I was still so young and learning so much about myself.

While in the band I met a very driven man named Adaryll. Instantly I did not like him. I don't think he knows that. I pride myself on having a pretty good spirit of discernment. Twice in my life that discernment has been off. First with the man I am spending my life with. I've said before, if you would have told me in high school that I was going to someday marry Chris I would have spit in your face. AFTER I laughed in it.

The second time I was wrong--Adaryll. My first impression of AD (as he was so affectionately called back then) was that he was very intelligent and felt that his intelligence rendered his opinions superior to everyone else's. I KNEW I was NOT going to like him.

Was I wrong! I think there are times in life when you really miss out on a blessing because you don't take the time to really know the people who cross your path. I am so grateful to God that was not the case with Adaryll.

During my time at Tech I remember him letting me blow snot all over his sleeve after a friend and I had a disagreement. I don't think he even knew why I was crying, he just walked in the room and saw a need--so he met it. And he never complained. I remember how he relentlessly made fun of my Texas accent. Every time I said IIIICE. He would remind me that no news reporter ever said it that way. I secretly worked on such "Texan" words until I could say them like "normal" people. To this day I can not pass an offer for a credit card without thinking of him. "If you need a card for emergencies then you should have emergency cash." I am truly grateful for that one--it kept me from making some really dumb mistakes early on. But oh how he aggravated me. I remember taking him places in my car and his knees would be up to his chin. He's tall--6'2" maybe--and he would push the seat all the way back, but it was still never far enough. I remember how he coaxed a very shy friend into asking me to the band banquet. When we met at AD's before the banquet, AD handed me a rose. I was touched that he thought of me and said so. He then said, "Well it's not from me, it's from Matt." Always the match maker. I remember his date that night. She stood all of 5". Watching them dance that night was precious. I am certain he had the stiffest back then next morning. I remember going to Juarez during our time in El Paso for the Sun Bowl. Adaryll made sure I made it safely back over the border into Texas (though he left me on my own going into Mexico).

I lost touch with him for many years. Recently I joined face book, and he was the first friend I searched for. I was THRILLED to find him. God has led him on an amazing journey. And now he is a small groups pastor in Austin. I've not had the privilege of meeting his family, but from all the pictures they look beautiful. And he came to Alumni Day. So after 11 years I got to see him again!

I think that is how heaven is going to be. We'll be reunited with loved ones we've not been able to see for so long and what celebration will take place! I don't know how much celebrating Adaryll did. He had a long trip home the next day, but I've thought about it all weekend. And it's made me smile. He became one of the dearest, best friends I've ever had.

I have so many regrets from those years. I regret that I can not tell my children I finished my degree before they were born. I regret that I did not connect more with those people I saw everyday. I regret that I did not carry myself differently.

But the one thing I will never regret--never be sorry for--is meeting this man. I wish we lived closer, I think his son and Noah would have been fast friends. I wish I wouldn't have lost touch with him, but I am so honored that he allowed me to come back into his life. I see a different Adaryll when I see him now. The love of Christ pours freely from him, and I know he's making a difference for eternity. Adaryll I am so proud of the man of God you've become. It is my prayer that God would always return to you all that you give out and more.

5 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

What sweet words! I hope I get the chance to meet you one day- and I am sure you are right about our kids becoming fast friends! :)
Jen
(Adaryll's wife)

Sarah said...

I love getting to catch up with long lost friends. It's like you get to meet all over again, only it's better because you know how blessed you are the second time around!

BTW, Jen, your kids are gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Great story! So glad for you that you found your friend. Thanks for sharing.
Have a great week!
~LydiaCate

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

AD!!!!! That's a face I'll never forget!!! (there are plenty from Tech I can't remember, intentionally!!!!) God knew what he was doing when he put to female freshman trombone players in the band together... You kept me sane that year!!! I'm so glad you and AD met up again! That's awesome! I'm so jealous!!!!

Mommahen said...

Oh Tracy, if you would have been there it would have been a perfect reunion!

I know what you mean...not all faces do I care to remember, but AD...what a blessing!

There's a lot of things I wish I could do differently during my time there (mainly stick it out), but I am glad God gave me the sense to hang on to the people who would later come to mean to most to me.