Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Wish List

It's been a while since I've made time to sit down and post on this old thing.  But as was always the case, it was something simply profound that my child did to make me dust the cob webs off. My littlest man will be celebrating a birthday in less than a month.  I've always been big on gift lists.  Give me some ideas of what you want for your special day...it makes things SOOOO much easier.  In years past, his list was much smaller.  For one he was younger, and for two he couldn't write as well! But this year was different.  He brought me an entire page of gift ideas.  Some things, like embroidery string, as super inexpensive. Others, like a nook and digital camera are most likely out of our price range.  Good thing he doesn't read my blog! :) I saw his list and thought, "Wow he has some nerve". Then, as it sank in I thought, Wow, he has some nerve." He was comfortable with bringing me that list because I am his mom, because we have a deep relationship with one another, because he knows where good things come from. 

Then I thought about the lists I take to God, and the attitude with which I take them. Hebrews 4:16 tells us to come BOLDLY to the throne of our Gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find the grace to help us when we need it most. James 4:2 tells us we "have not because we ask not." Matthew 7:7 says, "Ask and it will be given to you..." Now these verses are not saying that if I ask for a million dollars, God will give it to me just because I asked.  It doesn't work that way.

But my child knew who to give his wish list to: not his 5th grade teacher, not our next door neighbor, not his big brother, not his pastor, but his parents.  And he did it with boldness. He realized that if never asked for a nook, he would never get a nook. I think God wants that same devotion from me. He doesn't want me to go to my best friend for peace with a difficult family member.  He doesn't want me to bring my petitions to Him half heartedly. He wants me to come with boldness, with confidence that if He is for me who can be against me.  (Romans 8:31). So that hurt that I am struggling to forgive, the trust I am afraid to extend, the kindness I have a hard time pouring out, God wants me to bring my list to Him, with Boldness. He can give me those things that no one else can. And the difference between my list and Noah's is that MY Father has unlimited resources, nothing is too great for Him.

So I think I'm going to sit down and make my list. Then I'm going to take it to God, and I'm going to stand back and watch Him work it all out. Because if I, who am imperfect, can give good things to Noah, how much more will my Father in Heaven pour out on me?


No comments: