Tuesday, September 4, 2007

School's Out! School's Out!

...Okay, well maybe only for an extended three day weekend, but after that first chaotic week I think it was pure genius for the schools to give the kids a holiday already!

The boys and I have relished every minute of it...well almost. I still am struggling with the strong headed opinions of my eleven going on thirty year old child. We can go from joy to frustration in sixty seconds flat. But let's not dwell on that--lets recall the joys of the weekend.


We got it started off right with a picnic in the park followed by ice cream. That was Friday night. Then on Saturday I made omelets for the crew, and we had a birthday party with cake that night. On Sunday we had our annual back to school picnic with our church. It was lots of laughs and eats. Today we got up early (9:00) and went to Krispy Kreme and had our pick of sugar loaded pastries. Then this afternoon we got to go swimming with some good friends--our buddies.

My friend ask me the other night, when she heard of my plans, if I was going to make this a ritual for every weekend. I don't know if we will be able to fill every weekend with so many of our favorite things, but I am sure going to try. Sending Mark off to middle school made me realize how desperately I want his fun place to be home. I want him to have so many great memories of home time that nothing out there in the world can compare. I want him to know that regardless of how serious he must be out there, that he can come home and unload and laugh. I want him to realize that all the burdens he must bear in the world can be lightened when shared with a family that loves him. Of course I want that for all my boys, but some how this first week of middle school has made me realize how quickly his life is changing. How fast he is growing up--maturing up. Last year life was so carefree, he ran to the van every day after school. This year he walks a bit more slowly--weighed down by all that he must carry--physically, mentally and emotionally. And that makes me sad for my eleven going on thirty year old.

So...we may not be able to do ice cream and Krispy Kreme and all other good things creamed, but we will laugh, always remembering that there really is no place like home, especially when it is filled with the people you love.

2 comments:

Mommahen said...

Gayla, regarding your last comment I have to say HOW DARE YOU! I miss my kids, but NOT that much! It was so funny--I did not understand what "#4" I was supposed to work on until Chris finally stepped in and said "Child #4!"

Seriously, we loved our time together too. Good times with good friends, what better memories.

Gayla said...

Hey, I was just doing my part in tryig to offer a solution. I hope you have a blessed week and look for the blessings!!! I know that in the midst of all the chaos, God will richly bless you and the rest of the gang!