Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Year Older

I woke up to a 12 year old yesterday. Where did the last 365 days go? I was just posting about his 11th birthday yesterday, or so it seems.
I feel kind of bad for Mark this year though. It has been a killer week, and his birthday while it was celebrated, was not celebrated the way I think he deserves. There was no store bought cake, it was a simple box cake. There was no fancy wrapping, it was simply a recycled sack. There was no big crowd to yell SURPRISE, just a few family members to sing happy birthday to him.
That is exactly how I spend my birthdays. But for my children I want more. I want them to know their birthdays are worth stopping the world for a brief moment to celebrate their arrival into it. But true to who my children are, when the times are tough they are thrilled to simply be acknowledged.

His celebration started out at his grandparents on the 23rd. My mom made homemade burgers, and a cake. He finally got a globe puzzle he's been asking for since he was 8. It wasn't the exact one, but he was grateful regardless.

Last night we took him out to eat at the restaurant of his choice--Golden Corral. Then came home and opened gifts. We got him a game for his wii, a movie (Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium), and of course the practical gift--clothes. He wore his favorite of the shirts today. I am so glad he is not ashamed of his faith.

With Sunday being Easter, I thought of God's gift to us--His own Son. Our church held the Lord's supper, and we did it together as families. As I took of the bread, I cried. Then, as I drank the juice I wept. I looked over at Mark who was partaking and thought how much God loves us, because I don't think I could ever give Mark up for someone else. I couldn't help but reach out and hold him, and he let me.

In this past year: I have seen him starting to develop peach fuzz, although my dad tried to stroke his ego Sunday and tell him it is not peach fuzz it is a moustache. I have noticed more that he really is a polite boy. He yes ma'ams my mom to death. And it always has his little Texas twang to it so it sounds more like "yes Ma-yum". He has become fiercely competitive and sometimes get violent in his pursuit to win. He has become a walking encyclopedia. And he is ALMOST as tall as my mom. Of course my mom used to be 5'5'' now with age coming upon her I bet she is only 5'4". He still comes up to her shoulder. I am noticing an Adam's apple thing starting to develop ever so slowly. He no longer has the neck of a child (sounds crazy to some of you, but us mom's notice those things). And he is a 3rd parent to the younger brothers. While it drives them (and us) crazy, I know someday those delegation skills will help him succeed. But mostly I have noticed that while he is changing so much one thing has not changed. He wants you to show him you love him. Every morning before he gets out of the van at school he reaches over and gives me a kiss, then as he is walking up to the building he ALWAYS looks back for one final wave. I know other parents behind me may get mad as I put off their child getting up to the building because I won't drive off, but I wouldn't miss that final look back for anything. Every night before he goes to bed he asks which one of us is coming to tuck him in. And every once in a while he will reach out in public and grab my hand.

As he's grown I don't always have to hold his hand to cross the street, or to keep him close in a crowd. But now, when he reaches out with his growing hand to hold mine it's almost impossible to not be transported back. Someday he will be holding HER hand. And all I have to say is she will be pretty lucky--whoever she is. Because I know I am.

1 comment:

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

I type this with tears streaming down my face. Elaine, you have a gift of words. You need to write a book or something! Your words are always so moving, so strong, so perfect! I seriously hope you are keeping a permanent log of this blog! Your children are blessed with a spritual mother and in years to come will enjoy reading about these moments with you and how much they meant to you!