Friday, March 14, 2008

My name is Trouble

Noah and I were off to the grocery store last night when he began talking about his name. For me names are a big deal. I researched each of my boy's names before we decided on them. Meanings play a big part in name choices also. And I want the boys to know their names mean something--they weren't just a fad or a TV character. Although I though about Joey Tribianni or Ross Geheller in my weaker moments but never thought Chandler Bing Santos would bode well.

ANYWAY...Noah said he knew why I named him Noah. "It's because it has NO in it". Hmmmm, do I tell him that too often? I was quick to correct him and told him that I chose Noah because it means peaceful, and I knew he would be a peaceful child (and he so is--most of the time--unless he's fighting with his brothers). BUT as much as I loved the name Noah I really loved his middle name. Seth. Seth means appointed. My pregnancy with Noah was a difficult one, physically and emotionally. I was on antibiotics almost the entire first trimester, was hospitalized in the second trimester, and watched my husband struggle through employment issues.

I often wondered why God would allow me to get pregnant at this time. When I began looking at names Seth was the first one that I was drawn to. It was as if the Lord was saying I appointed this child for this time. So in a very watered down version I tried to explain to Noah why we named him Seth.

He then said, "I know why you named me Seth." It's my trouble name. Because when I am in trouble you say "NOAH SETH".

Maybe someday he will see the beauty behind his name, until then, I think I will just call him son.

2 comments:

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

OH wow... what a wonderful conversation with your child! I hope you are documenting this somewhere that doesn't to do with technology!!! You could write a book, Elaine! I love that "it's my trouble name!" how precious!

Mommahen said...

He keeps me laughing that is for sure.

And no, I am not backing these memories up anywhere else, but since you mentioned it I guess I better consider doing that. It's a really good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.