I think the beginning is always a good place. Last Friday, Chris and I had the opportunity to go to a Marriage Conference hosted by Jimmy and Karen Evans. It was WONDERFUL!
Mark stayed home and attended a DNow weekend. Our conference was slated to be over at noon on Saturday so we were supposed to drive home in time to cook for the youth. Matthew and Noah were spending the weekend with a wonderful friend and we were supposed to be home to relieve her from the boys at 2:30. Notice that small phrase in both those sentences--"SUPPOSED TO".
This was such a treat for Chris and I. Every moment of the conference revealed something specific in our marriage. The conference title was Marriage on the Rock. And Jimmy's sessions were over the seven steps of faith every marriage must take in order to survive. Each step felt like a step I knew Chris and I were striving to stick.
The first step was the step of faith to STAND in the face of the giants. Jimmy used the children of Israel as his example. He said when the spies were sent into the Promised Land there were giants. Everyone of them were afraid except for Joshua and Caleb. Joshua said "The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good. If the Lord is pleased with us, He will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us. Only do not rebel against the Lord. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because WE WILL SWALLOW THEM UP. Their protection is gone, BUT THE LORD IS WITH US. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THEM." (Numbers 14:7-9 Emphasis mine). He said there will be giants in your Promised Land. But do not run from them.
Chris and I have faced giant after giant in our promised land. We've been to the gates of hell in our marriage, but God's grace pulled us back. Yet, we have many more giants to face--some old--some new. And we are facing a giant with Mark, our oldest. He is now in middle school and struggling to find his place. Right now he's truly struggling to grow into his skin.
So during the conference we felt very compelled to come home and tell Mark that we will face these giants together. "We are all hurting right now and we will slay the giant as a family." But before we could even make it home our van broke down. We were an hour outside of Lubbock at 1:30 pm when the van jerked back and lost all power. We were able to pull over onto the shoulder where we had to come up with a plan, and quickly. My dad came and got us two hours later. A church member loaned us his trailer, and our pastor pulled the trailer to Tulia where they loaded the van up to bring home. I got home after 6 pm and Chris did not get home until after 9pm--when we were only an hour away from home. Our church family was quick to step up and fill in for us as they cooked the DNow meal. Sarah was a Godsend as she stayed with the boys until we got home. THEN, when I got home she had dinner cooked and the table set for us. Not only did she nourish our bodies that day, but God used her to nourish our spirits as well.
We put it in the shop on Monday. To replace the timing belt it was $600.00. We ok'ed the repair. Then, last night the mechanic called and said the timing belt caused more damage than originally thought and to pinpoint the exact source the labor alone would be an additional $400.00. That did not include parts. So we are now, after replacing the engine in January, at $3000.00 in repairs. Chris and I prayed, as we put it in, that God would give us wisdom in knowing what to do. It just doesn't seem wise to continue pouring money into a van that has so much more that could break down. If the transmission goes out then that's another $4000.00.
So last night after we served dinner at church we went off to dealerships to see if there was anything we liked. Finally, at one dealership we found a black Dodge Grand Caravan. We went in thinking the process would take a while--that we would be told to come back in the morning because we would need to complete the paperwork as they tried to secure a lender for us. Nope, in less that 45 minutes we were now owners (or pay-ers) of a new van.
And amazingly, I am at peace. No really, if you know me at all you know that is HUGE for me. I don't deal well with change or big purchases and this fits into both.
But, we were living on almost half of what Chris makes now, and we had a van payment then. Never did we miss a payment, or go hungry. Never were our utilities cut off. We faced the giants and we slayed them--because the Lord was faithful--even when I was faith-less.
But, we were living on almost half of what Chris makes now, and we had a van payment then. Never did we miss a payment, or go hungry. Never were our utilities cut off. We faced the giants and we slayed them--because the Lord was faithful--even when I was faith-less.And I know He continues to be with us. With each Giant that is "swallowed up" I pray God is honored. With each giant that falls I pray that He is glorified. Because I know I am not doing this out of my own strength--it is truly because of the Lord.
What Giant are you facing today? Trust that the Lord will be with you. If He will grant us victory then I know He will do the same for you, as you are precious in His sight. And when the giant falls don't hesitate to shout it from the highest mountain. Every giant slain, gives hope to us all. I love you.
1 comment:
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings. In every way acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."
That's my motto, although I wish I could do it whole heartedly more often. This post made me think about my own giants and right now I feel like Gulliver in the land of the Giants... thank you for making me pause and take everything into sight.
Post a Comment