Friday, June 27, 2008

Hope Floats

One of my favorite movies is Hope Floats starring Harry Connick Jr...oh and Sandra Bullock. I love the story line. She thought her life was perfect, until she got a big does of reality one day. She soon learns life is what you make it--where you're at. And her mom, played by Gena Rowlands. The best. She did a fabulous job of playing an eccentric grandma, in her own way.

I guess I love it so much because I can relate. For a long time I thought my life was perfect. Going along serving God. Then reality slapped me in the face. Christ even told us "in this world you will have trouble". Must've skipped over that verse during quiet times. But when I slowed down I found out that it was there.

I have a marriage that I am grateful for everyday. Even though about 6 years ago it was an all out war to keep it together. Not many outside the family knew we were having problems. But if you lived in my house during that time you lived in hell.

I have three children that I adore, and try to mother the best way I can. But no matter how much I love my baby boy I can never take away all the illnesses that he suffers.

I have a home and vehicle that I can call my own (as long as I make the payments). But it hasn't always been easy making those payments--times have been lean--times have been barren.

I have a wonderful ministry with little children that I find so much joy in. But with the rose comes the thorn. And many a thorn has pricked my spirit in this ministry.

I have a sister that I love with a niece and nephew who mean the world to me. But my love isn't enough to protect her, to bless her, to grow her. No matter how I walk I can't get her to follow.

And I have a best friend who works so hard in so many ways to give me all I have. Chris has amazed me year after year when I see him in his career. He's opened (from the ground up) several different restaurants. He's cleaned up lots of dirty restaurants. And he's staffed lots of empty restaurants. Always meaning many hours away from home, from the family.

Two years and two months ago he started with a new company. By far it has been the best company he's ever worked for. Time off with the family has been plentiful and benefits and salary have been more than we imagined. From the time we got married over 13 years ago he has talked about this restaurant chain. It was the gold standard of restaurants. He applied with this restaurant seven years ago and they didn't hire him. When the opportunity to re-apply came up he was hesitant. But together we prayed and he tried. And God gave him his dream.

It's not been an easy two years. He's had a lot to take on. His GM groomed him to be promoted. But in grooming Chris, he was hard on him, put pressure on him. And I know he did it to make Chris succeed under pressure but it wasn't always comfortable.

But Chris also had a great staff that loved and respected him. They loved us. We never felt like an interruption to their job. They welcomed us in every time. We've even had a couple of them in our home, and one has even had dinner with us. I just adore Matt. He's a good kid trying to figure out the plan for his life. Even though I am only 12 years older than him if I could adopt him I would. This is the standard I have become accustomed to.

Today however, he had to move from his store, a new store with new equipment. A store with workers who were more like friends, a store with lots of potential, to the other store. I am nervous for him. I know how hard he's worked to establish his name at this store. I know what he is walking in to at the other store. But I don't want to throw my fears on to him.

So I am encouraging him and praying for him--for us. To be patient during this transition. My kids are not happy about leaving their new made friends either. And while I try to be patient, I cling to a line from one of my favorite movies.

"Beginnings are scary. Endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up, and it will."

"No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame." Psalm 25:3

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have been praying hard for all of you about this transition. Hang in there! God will see you through! Oh, and I'm back!

~Shade of my Heart~ said...

"My cup runneth over."
I love that movie, too!! And I LOVE reading about your journeys along this path! I am so fortunate to have crossed your path.. with plenty of space for our trombone slides!
My friend.. you have been tagged!