Sunday, October 12, 2008

Opposites: Wet and Dry

The boys have played soccer for many years. Mark has been playing since he was 4. His first season he played his first game in snow flurries. He was so bundled up I am surprised he was able to run. I am also surprised he went back, but he has gone back, for eight and a half years. This year has been a rather wet season. Several games have been rescheduled due to rain. Last week we waited an hour--in a down pour--at the complex--only to have them call it.

Yesterday it was overcast and I had so many other things to do, I prayed for cancellations. They never came. Today, it has been cold and overcast again. But today there has been a bit more precipitation. Not torrential flooding like last week, but enough to get you wet if you stood out in it for a few minutes.

People who don't have children in soccer sometimes don't believe me when I tell them I have to take the boys to soccer. Their response is always "It's raining" OR "It's gonna rain". But I promise I am not lying. They will not call it unless they see lightning--most of the time it has to strike the ball before they call a game (not really but it sure feels that way).

Therefore I took pictures today for all you doubting Thomas'. My poor baby looked like he fell in a big puddle head first. But he played both thirty minute halves--without a break--in the rain. I don't think I would be so dedicated, but since he played I watched. The first thing he did when he came home, the first thing we both did, was to find dry clothes. I am so glad I don't live in the ocean, or a fish tank. I like being dry.

This is what Mark's shirt looked like after the game. It WAS light gray before the rain soaked it.

Notice his smiling face, it is not covered with sweat but with rain!

These poor children were simply trying to make it back to their dry vehicles.


This is what my shoes and pants looked like after a WET day out at the soccer field.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think moms need to be appreciated a lot more than they are for their dedication to their kids. Not having children sometimes it's hard for me to understand.

I have two friends that have children in the High School band. They will travel hours, sit in horrible weather, or dive bombing mosquitos to watch a football game ... basically waiting for the half time show. It amazes me.

Just like the postman ... rain, sleet, snow, heat, mosquitos and dirt will not slow down a mother going to watch her children do what they enjoy.

God bless you Elaine.

Sarah said...

You are awesome! What troopers you and Mark are. That is a great example you are setting for your boys that they can endure unpleasant things for the things/people they love! I love watching you mother them!

Mommahen said...

HA! We too have been diving away from the amazon mosquitos this fall!

I just remeber growing up with a working mom who did the best she could. So she missed a lot. And I missed her so much! I may sometimes embarrass the boys more than anything, but I want them to at least have that memory instead of a memory of longing. So I sit.

And I don't know if I'm really teaching the younger ones a lesson of love or if I am simply trying to enjoy SOME portions of the game. Especially when they look at me when I come in and say, "MAN I'M GLAD I DIDN'T GO!" Which is EXACTLY what Matthew said. :-)

Rebecca said...

Your boys will appreciate that you went when they are grown :) None of mine are in soccer right now but I know it's a lot of work! WTG for sticking it out even when it's wet and miserable!

Grammy said...

Thats great so socker is like the mail man { neither rain nor shine will keep him away} You have wonderful kids.

Rachel Anne said...

You rock, Elaine! What a mom! :)