Sunday, October 19, 2008

Things to do ...

A great writter always writes about what they know. So I continue to write about soccer. Becuase right now that is all I know! Then maybe that will someday turn me into a great writer, and I will be able to say I owe it all to soccer!

Every season which usually only lasts 8 weeks (sometimes longer if games are rescheduled), I spend 4 hours at practice weekly and 6 hours at games. Mark's games are now an hour and a half. Matthew's are only an hour, but we have to be there thirty minutes before for warm up and then the coach usually keeps them another thirty minutes afterwards to tell them what they did wrong, I mean to go over strategy.


I have always tried, sometimes unsuccessfully, to multi-task. The four hours I spend a week at practice just seem lost for me sometimes. BUT I am trying to fill them consructively. So...if there are any other new moms out there, wondering what you can do during pracitce or if some of you just need to know how to fill an hour spent waiting, here is a list of ideas. All of which I have done.


* Do a bible study
* Exercise by walking around the block
* Try to beat your high score on what ever game is installed on your phone
* Edit the pictures on your memory card
* Address wedding invitations
* Cut out decals used for children's bible class/greeting cards/scrapbooks
* Call a friend
* Plan your meals for the week
* Clean out your car
* Watch a video
* Pluck your eyebrows
* Give yourself a partial mani or pedi
* Take a quick nap
* Fold a load of laundry

So...what can you do with an hour? 'Cause I may need some new ideas if soccer continues in our house!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I honestly don't know how you do it! I get tired just reading about it!

Plucking your eyebrows in the car is an awesome idea because the light is just right! Just don't do that while you are driving!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to feel stuck at something like that when you have so many things to do. Multi-tasking is the way to go, but it sounds like you've got it covered.

I was a courier for awhile in St. Louis. I spent hours just sitting in my car in parking lots waiting for a call. My brother bought me a car cleaning system that plugged into your lighter. I would spend hours cleaning every crevice I could reach.

I also took my sleeping bag and slept in the backseat in the winter.

I guess if you learned to knit or something then you could make all of your christmas presents while you watch soccer. :)

Mommahen said...

Yes Sarah, I do feel tired most days, but that is why one of my list items is take a nap. But, it is kind of embarrassing when you fall asleep so hard that the coach is now at the window with your child banging to wake you up.

And Paige I used to cross stitch, but it took me longer to untagle the thread than it did to actually create something. So maybe instead of knitting Christms gifts, I can do catalog shopping! YAY! I came up with a new thing! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sharon Sloan said...

Hello!

You won the "Salty Give-Away"! Please stop by and see today's post!

Congratulations!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Plucking your eyebrows? :-)
You are a multi-tasking genius.
I hemmed curtains this summer watching my kids at the pool. And I crochet -- (oh, dear. makes me sound like a 'gramma)(I'm not.)
... found you at the "Company Girls" place. Happy Friday!
-esthermay

Anonymous said...

I don't have children but my mother has 7 children, 4 boys, and her game was baseball. We LIVED at the baseball fields. Although it is not a fun task, she would pay bills while sitting at practices. You can also cook dinner, just use the crock pot. At least when you get home, you know dinner will be healthy and hot! And you did very little work getting there.

Good luck and many blessings with those boys!

Rachel Anne said...

I laughed at the plucking eyebrows! You should have pretty good lighting before the sun goes down.

I always forget to bring a book along when I'm waiting. Rats! It's the only time I allow myself the luxury of reading. I try and think up blog posts, mostly.

Carol said...

Soccer last eight weeks? My oldest was on a travel soccer team. Soccer was year round! Practices were three days a week and latest 2 and a half hours.
You covered almost everything that I did...here is a few more-

Go shopping close by (hey, a girl never passes an opportunity to shop)
Spend some one on one time with the other child.
Play cards with some of the other moms stuck like you.
Address Christmas cards.
Walk the dog.
Steal your kids DS and beat their high score at a game.