Monday, October 6, 2008

Order of Operations

I am so mad...I love the library. I love being able to check out books and fall in love with them then return them and never have to make permanent room on my already full shelves. I recently checked out a book by the author Francine Rivers. She writes christian fiction. The name of the book was The Scarlet Thread. I cried through the majority of the book. I related in so many ways to the characters.

After I devoured that book I had to read more. I found another book that Rivers authored entitled As Sure as the Dawn. It is set in Rome after the death of Christ. It is a book that contains fifty-five chapters. I stayed up many late nights to finish it. Once again I cried and related though the entire book.

Rivers used the verses James 1:19-20 as her basis for this book. They read "My dear brothers and sisters, pay attention to what I say. Everyone should be quick to listen. But they should be slow to speak. They should be slow to get angry. A man's anger doesn't produce the kind of life God wants."
Rivers' book reads "Notice the order: First, listen--and be quick about it. Speech is to come slowly, After listening; that is, after getting all the facts. Anger is--or should be--an after thought. How often do we reverse the order?"

Wow. I simply picked up a book that I thought would be a good fictional read. You know, the kind that takes you right into the heart of the story, making you forget you have laundry to fold, or dishes to wash, or children to feed. Oh yeah, I have to feed the children.
But after I finished the book it was a soul searching experience. I had to go before God and confess that I do not heed those words. How many times have I given over to my anger? How many times have I hurt my children, or spouse, because I would not slow down enough to listen? How many times have I spoken out--have I ASSUMED--without hearing all the facts, from a family member, from a leader, from a friend?

I pray the Lord would continue to mold me into a woman who edifies others with her words. I know I am not perfect, but I certainly don't want to be called a fool. "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11. And I want to live the kind of life God wants me to live. Can't do that if I don't follow the order of operations.
I want to slow down enough to be a blessing. God has been so good to me--so merciful to me, so gracious to me--shouldn't I be the same way towards others? I have no right to be anything else.
Like I said, I simply wanted a book to escape into. Yet, God used even that to speak to His daughter. I'm glad I heard Him. Father be patient with me. Thank you for continuously teaching me.


*******************
Oh, I forgot, I am mad because this book, As Sure as the Dawn, is a part of a series--the last part. I have not read the first two books. So now I will start at the beginning. I wish I would have known. But as good as this one was I am sure I won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You are that woman who edifies with her words. I have been built up more times than I can count, and been blessed by your words. Thank you for being my friend, and my example!