The other day Sarah was so sweet when she told you that she believed you could do it. That you have struggled before and you pushed through it, that you could do it again. I know she's right, but in the middle of a melt down after school it sure doesn't feel like we'll get through it does it? At the end of a long Thursday when all of your friends have been gone from school for an hour and you are just leaving it doesn't appear very hopeful does it?
But today I read about another mom's heartache as she watches her child struggle. My heart went out to her. God encouraged me. He reminded me of all the GOOD things He's already given you. In your short ten years, I have seen more blessings from Him, more answers to prayers in your life than in some adult lives I know. And I know it is because when you pray you trust Him, you walk with Him.
I am reminded of the hope we felt after a semester of struggles, when God used someone else (who cared deeply for you) to bring Sarah into our lives. I am reminded of the way you made it through second grade. You made student of the month that year for the first time. It was December. I remember your excitement. I remember thanking God with every breath; you needed that encouragement. I am reminded of the first time you CHOSE to read without me forcing you to. I am reminded of our trip to Sea world. Out of thousands of children, YOU were chosen to be a part of the show. For most people it was simply entertainment, to us, it was confirmation that God sees you. He's is active in your life; He wants you to believe. I am reminded of your third grade year. With the TAKS test we faced an uphill climb. But God sent us a teacher who was walking with all of us up that hill. I remember the day she told me that you had raised your hand in class, volunteering to read out loud for the first time. I am reminded of the day you took that TAKS test. You finished at 1:52. You scored two away from commended! This boy who no one believed could succeed just two short year earlier. I am reminded of your awards assembly that year; you received an award for straight A's! And I am reminded of your plane ride this summer. It was God's way of showing me again--"Believe in Me. I have a plan for his life, and it's going to take him a lot higher than this."
And this year I have seen God's hand in your life. When your teacher said, "I want you to know I pray for Matthew every day. I pray for all my students every day." I watched you score your first goal ever this year. You are always so content to play back--stick to defense--never asking for the spot light. But God placed you just right this year and you scored! I wish I would have had the camera with me--the ONLY game I did not take it to. But it was sweet to see you score, after you pushed through a tough season. I watched you run your race. I don't think I will ever be able to run a mile again, but you are doing it with ease at only ten years old. You improved by 25 places! I watched you desire to play Joseph in the Christmas play. Not only are you playing Joseph, but you are playing the smart kid at the spelling bee! Why? Not by chance, but because that is exactly how God sees you--how He made you.
Matthew, you have yet to soar. Right now you are gliding.
And Sarah is right; you will push through this. You will succeed. God has given you strength to endure. He has an amazing plan for you. I know it. Your life gives me hope. Your life reminds me to believe. It is a testimony of what God can do when someone surrenders to Him whole heartedly. Trust Him. Trust His plan. And know that your mommy and daddy are here. To cheer you on, to cry with you, to push you forward, to thank God for you. Your full name means gift from God; God is with us. And I don't think anyone who spends even a little time in your presence would deny that. God IS with you--always. I love you baby boy.
I am reminded of the hope we felt after a semester of struggles, when God used someone else (who cared deeply for you) to bring Sarah into our lives. I am reminded of the way you made it through second grade. You made student of the month that year for the first time. It was December. I remember your excitement. I remember thanking God with every breath; you needed that encouragement. I am reminded of the first time you CHOSE to read without me forcing you to. I am reminded of our trip to Sea world. Out of thousands of children, YOU were chosen to be a part of the show. For most people it was simply entertainment, to us, it was confirmation that God sees you. He's is active in your life; He wants you to believe. I am reminded of your third grade year. With the TAKS test we faced an uphill climb. But God sent us a teacher who was walking with all of us up that hill. I remember the day she told me that you had raised your hand in class, volunteering to read out loud for the first time. I am reminded of the day you took that TAKS test. You finished at 1:52. You scored two away from commended! This boy who no one believed could succeed just two short year earlier. I am reminded of your awards assembly that year; you received an award for straight A's! And I am reminded of your plane ride this summer. It was God's way of showing me again--"Believe in Me. I have a plan for his life, and it's going to take him a lot higher than this."
And this year I have seen God's hand in your life. When your teacher said, "I want you to know I pray for Matthew every day. I pray for all my students every day." I watched you score your first goal ever this year. You are always so content to play back--stick to defense--never asking for the spot light. But God placed you just right this year and you scored! I wish I would have had the camera with me--the ONLY game I did not take it to. But it was sweet to see you score, after you pushed through a tough season. I watched you run your race. I don't think I will ever be able to run a mile again, but you are doing it with ease at only ten years old. You improved by 25 places! I watched you desire to play Joseph in the Christmas play. Not only are you playing Joseph, but you are playing the smart kid at the spelling bee! Why? Not by chance, but because that is exactly how God sees you--how He made you.
Matthew, you have yet to soar. Right now you are gliding.
And Sarah is right; you will push through this. You will succeed. God has given you strength to endure. He has an amazing plan for you. I know it. Your life gives me hope. Your life reminds me to believe. It is a testimony of what God can do when someone surrenders to Him whole heartedly. Trust Him. Trust His plan. And know that your mommy and daddy are here. To cheer you on, to cry with you, to push you forward, to thank God for you. Your full name means gift from God; God is with us. And I don't think anyone who spends even a little time in your presence would deny that. God IS with you--always. I love you baby boy.
4 comments:
I will remember to pray for Matthew ... I know he tries so hard. I want him to be successful ... I want him to see that hard work has it's rewards.
Paige thank you so much! We are exploring some other options. Please pray that God would give us all the wisdom to know how to best help him. I don't want him to feel like his academic career is forever destined to be a roller coaster. It can drain a person--and he has such great things in store for him I don't want him to give up before he sees them.
My heart aches for Matthew. I wish some of the children I work with would put one-tenth of the effort into their work that Matthew does.
At the same time, my heart hurts for him, I am so very proud of the way he endures. I know very few adults that approach adversity with the fortitude and grace that Matthew does.
I am blessed by this boy. He is an inspiration to me, and I am so thankful I get to be a part of his life. Matthew is witnessing God work in the struggles of his life. He will always remember how much he means to his Lord, and how he never gives up on him.
It is because God has placed such amazing people in his life that Matthew can see the hand of God so clearly. Thank you for all you do for him.
Post a Comment