Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Who's Lucky?!

I love the Christmas Holiday season. Thanksgiving has long been holiday I adore the most because it is simply a time of remembering all your blessings, no pressure to out give or out do someone else. But I do love Christmas. As a mother I sit in awe as I think about Mary. She was so young when she had Jesus. I've read some speculations that she was 14! Can you imagine? I was 21 when I had my first child, and I was a mess!

We never had a lot of traditions in my house when I was growing up. And that is something that I really wanted to change with my own family. So Thanksgiving is just us. We get up and watch the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Eat lunch. Then finish watching the dog show. And after clean up we are off to the movies. This year we saw Madagascar 2. It was really funny. Then we enjoyed grandma's pecan pie and came home to look over the circulars. This weekend, we put up our tree. I love the way it looks once it is complete, but I HATE stringing lights. So...Chris bought a pre-lit one last year on clearance. It was so nice to put up the tree and just have to plug it in. My tree would most likely not win a contest in Better Homes and Gardens or Martha Stewart Living, but when I look at my tree I am reminded of all our Christmases past. Every year the boys get an ornament that signifies some milestone for that year. They rush the ornament bucket every time to put out their favorites. Then we top it with an angel I received as a senior in high school. My Sunday school teacher made one for all of her girls that year. Every year I put it up I am reminded of the love of Christ she so selflessly poured into us. And I am grateful.
So...I am sure if I have managed to keep you interested this far you are wondering why I chose to post about something most other people could care less about. Well, tonight, Chris was offered a change in position. It is a big one--one that in the long run would be a financial gift to us. BUT, it would be a big sacrifice for us as a family. When I think of my little bunch and all the ways we are blessed, I realize that it is not always money and comfort (what some people might equate with money) that matters the most. I would much rather be able to celebrate our traditions as a whole family. Making memories together is so much more meaningful and more lasting.

I have an amazing husband. I really do. How many other men would scrub the floor on his hands and knees? After Chris called, I sat down in shock. But as I began to look through my pictures I realized that we have all we need right here. Maybe we don't have tens of thousands of dollars in the bank. Maybe Chris drives a second rate car. And maybe we did have to wait until the clearance sale last year to get our tree, but there is no other place I would rather be. What about you? What blessings have you been living with every day that you haven't recognized as such?

As for me, I am honored that God has placed me right here, with this family, in this time, with this life. "Teach us to number our days." Psalm 90:12

9 comments:

Sharon Sloan said...

Handsome children! Love the pix and the stories.

Praying for your hubby's job change. May HE direct you in each step. (My hubby scrubs the floor, too, when I ask him.) :)

I pray you see His face everywhere you turn during this time of transition!

PS -- I love the salt and pepper chips, too. They used to make s & p popcorn and then stopped! It was so yummy!

Sarah said...

I am excited about the advancement Chris has been offered, but I understand how it could effect your family. I will be praying.

The last few nights, since it has gotten colder, I have let Addy sleep with me. I don't do this because it requires me to spread an old blanket out over the bed and seems to be a lot of extra trouble when I just want to go to bed! She has gotten to be a little snuggler and keeps me warm at night. When I was praying last night, I included Addy in my list of thankful fors. I think God gives us pets so we can better understand the unconditional love he has for us. I love my Addy girl!

Sarah said...

BTW, your tree is gorgeous! All of my ornaments have either been gifts over the years, or ones me, my brother, or my mom have made. They all have special meaning to me. I always LOVED helping my mom decorate the tree. Those will be treasured memories your boys will have their whole lives!

Mommahen said...

Sharon! I am so glad you stopped by! The name of Sharon is highly regarded in my house now! I bet the salt and pepper popcorn was good!

Sarah, I love Addy girl too. She is so sweet and passive. Always avoiding conflict. I think you're onto something about the unconditional love thing. When I lost Buster it was one of the hardest things ever. He never stopped loving me--no matter how poorly I treated him. And yeah, the boys are already divying up the ornaments for when they move away. I guess at that point I will have a bare tree!

Rachel Anne said...

OK, any man who gets on his hands and knees to scrub the kitchen floor should be given a medal. What a guy.

I'll be praying for you as you make a decision about the job! It is great to be content where you are, but then again, maybe this will be a good opportunity.

I really enjoyed your spirit of thankfulness in this post.......so sweet and heartwarming. You've got some real blessings in those boys and your man! And your tree looks great! I'm hoping to get ours put up this weekend. I just didn't have the wherewithal to work on it after the big Thanksgiving bash at our house. Phew!

Anonymous said...

I love the angel on top of your tree. It is similar to one that I have treasured for more than 15 years. What a beautiful family.

mholgate said...

What a great post! You have a lot to be thankful for. God is so good in the midst of change. We have seen a lot of it in our family over the past two years.

Three boys! I too, have three boys, but two girls as well. They are all a joy. : )

Blessings to you and your family during this season.

-Melissa

Cheryl said...

What a great post and blog. You have a beautiful family and your grateful heart is evident in your writing.

Carol said...

What a beautiful family. I pray that your husband finds the best job for him and for your family.