Thursday, April 16, 2009

WAY Off Broadway

These last couple of weeks seem to have been busy ones. The kids performed their Easter musical on Palm Sunday. Here are my stars of the show. Every year I worry about the ability of the kids to pull it off, but every year God steps in and the Holy Spirit helps them remember their lines. This year we know of one woman who accepted Christ after the performance. How exciting is that to be a part of!


Both Mark and Matthew had leading roles this year. I was very worried for Matthew because he had TONS of lines to memorize, plus props to use. The combination of the two were enough for me to bite my nails down to the nubs. But, because Matthew doesn't know failure, he stepped up and did great! Mark is such a natural on stage I really wish he would pursue it more. But he informed me that he feels this will be his last musical. That made me sad.


Matthew is not zoned out here. The setting of the play is a fishing tournament. Being the little actor he is, he tells his friend Theo (AKA Mark) that he will sit there and root him on "because I'm not even getting as much as a nibble".

Sweet Little Noah only had a choir part and a solo. But he did great too. He was so excited to sing his heart out. I am really proud of the effort each of them gave.
On the fitness end I have managed to walk at least 45 minutes every day. Most days I reach my personal goal of ten thousand steps (which takes me about an hour and twenty minutes). I've lost a whopping pound. I told Chris and he said "Well, brick by brick my friend." Quoting Sea Biscuit. Thanks Hun! But then I got to thinking about it. If my goal is to get healthy and I lose one pound a week for a year I will have lost FIFTY-TWO pounds! I will then weigh less than I did when I graduated high school, and less than I did when I got married! WOW! So a pound a week it is I guess.
Noah recently went to church with his cousins. He was sitting next to a little girl who asked him what was wrong with his lip. He turned to her a replied, "It's my eczema." Then being the uneducated person she was she replied, "Well you're NEVER gonna get a girl like that." When he retold the story to me he added, "What do I want to get a girl for anyway?!" And I said, "Well, you definitely don't want to get that one that's for sure." Why does it hurt you when your kids are rejected? I just think that people who judge Noah based on superficial things miss out on a huge blessing. Their exclusion is their loss. I've even seen parents teach their children to exclude Noah by the way they treat him. Sometimes kids are understandable, but parents too?! And Noah knows it, even though he never complains. He is such a helper. He will help Chris cook, he will help me do laundry, and he LOVES to vacuum (even though the vacuum weighs at least fifty pounds more than he does). He had some candy the other day, and it was his last piece. Mark saw it and replied "Man this is my favorite." And Noah said, "You can have it Mark." He's so selfless. And I know the eczema and scratching do not define him. I am a blessed mom to have such an amazing child even though I am so flawed. His condition is on the outside, and his heart is pure. It makes me realize that our world functions just the opposite. We try to look perfect on the outside, and yet our souls are crusty and oozing with sin. Maybe the way Noah looks is the way we should all look. Noah baby, you've got it right. And please know you've already got a girl--this girl--right by the heart.

8 comments:

cemotosnack said...

I don't like the things that were said to Noah, but I love his response. I think you have raised him with a good attitude and though it will still be hard for him at times ... deep down he knows what things matter.

I remember a post that you did where he told you that he would still love God even if he didn't fix his eczema.

He's a good boy and you are giving him such a good foundation.

Mommahen said...

Thank you Paige. He really does remind ME how to react. I know the Lord will bless him for that. And I am so grateful that there are so many people who love him and accept him unconditionally. It's those people as well who help Him get a glimpse of the Father.

Rachel Anne said...

The pictures from the play are priceless! What a great thing for them to be involved in! It takes so much work and commitment...they will never forget it.

Noah is beautiful on the outside AND the inside. Any girl who finds him will be very, very blessed.

Sarah said...

I love those pictures! Your boys are so handsome! And if that little girl keeps that little attitude, she's gonna end up with her very own dud!

BTW. I haven't lost any pounds! I exercise 5-6 times per week, and NADA! Embrace your one pound!

Cheryl said...

What beautiful pictures. It's exciting when we see our kids doing something for the Lord. Congratulations on your walking and weight loss. My step-mother commits to walking 10,000 steps a day. I need to follow y'alls example. I could stand to lose 30-50 pounds. Think I'll go look around for my pedometer...

Anonymous said...

I've participated in a few plays, but they were always so fun...after all the hard work of memorizing lines. How fun for you to watch them perform.

Keep it up with the steps!!

I'd choose a kind heart any day. It definitely lasts longer than outward appearances and other superficial things.

Have a great weekend.

secondofwett said...

What lovely memories your children will have!

mholgate said...

Loved your story on my blog! Thanks for sharing! :) I have really been challenged by my four year old and my two year old lately.

Love your pictures from the play. You are such a great mom. I'm so glad to have met you through Company Girls. :)

Have a great week!
-Melissa