Saturday, April 4, 2009

Running with Gum




Hi friends! Come enjoy a nice glass of cold water, as we just came in from an afternoon outside. And not just any afternoon out side, but an afternoon outside in 32 mph blowing dust! So far, just since Friday afternoon, we have watched two soccer games, watched three tennis matches, and practiced four hours for the Easter musical tomorrow. We still have one more soccer game to watch, one more tennis match to sit through, the Easter musical to perform, and our monthly youth fellowship to participate in, all before Sunday night. I know I will sleep very well when I finally hit the pillow that night.

I have recently enrolled in our local GETFIT challenge. It is a team event where your team earns points for every pound lost, every minute exercised, and every special event attended (such as 5k runs, health classes etc.). It is only a six week challenge, but I am hoping the benefits of the routine turn this into a true lifetime challenge. I hope the accountability of my other team mates will help me get through it as well. I realize that my body is God's temple and since my children have been born I have not taken very good care of His temple. I want that to change.

So part of MY personal challenge is counting calories. I realize there are lots of different ways that work for lots of different people, but I am amazed at what 2,000 calories really look like! Yesterday I knew we would be eating dinner out, so I logged my meal plan for the day and even eating out with a kids portion set me WAY over that 2,000 mark. So I had to eat light all day. Early on I put two pieces of gum in my mouth. Last night as I was out at the soccer field I discovered that the gum was no longer in my mouth. I don't know what happened to it! Chris (my husband) said that maybe I swallowed it since I was longing for food. I've come to the conclusion that he was right. So, I recalculated my calorie intake for the day and added two pieces of gum. I may be adding lots of gum over the next six weeks!

Matthew (my ten year old) also took me out to run half a mile yesterday. I've discovered that Matthew is in MUCH better shape than I am (he can literally run circles around me), and that I can not run half a mile--but I can hyperventilate through a half mile! When we came home Chris asked Matthew if he smoked me. Matthew replied, "no I took it easy on her because she's just a beginner." Gee thanks son.

I'm off to enjoy a cup and a half of grapes. Which are only 90 calories. Hopefully they'll hold me over until supper. I hope you enjoy a relaxing weekend.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, good job on getting fit and eating healthy. I'm sure if I tried to run to the mailbox I'd end up in the ER! :) I went for a nice long walk yesterday with 3 of my kiddos one of which was in a stroller. It finally dawned on me halfway through the day today why my legs and backside are so sore. Guess that's a dead giveaway that I'm not walking so regularly. I hope to be more faithful now that the weather is so pretty.

I enjoyed visiting your blog. I sure love this Company Girl thing!

Have a restful Sunday!
Lydia Cate

secondofwett said...

Thanks for stopping by...I sure wish you the best in your get fit endeavors in the next few weeks....I wish I had your self-discipline!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting our blog. That sounds great. I was using Sparkpeople.com for awhile, but it takes too much time to figure out the calories, etc. Anyhow, good luck with the program. So I found out that the Palm Sunday service this year is a little more busy because everyone will be away for spring break/vacation next Sunday. I did volunteer for this Sunday's reception thinking that the Easter service would be "bigger". Oops. Anyhow, it is great to see the kids hearing the story, and what it's really about. Have a great day!

Rachel Anne said...

I guess the good thing about gum is that you probably expended more calories chewing it (before your swallowed it) than calories absorbed into your system. So it's actually a negative input. :)

I used to count calories religiously...and basically I'm a big believer in calorie counting. If you want to eat a whole bag of chips, fine. But that's your day's worth of calories. Makes perfect sense. I should go back to doing it because I've gotten very lazy. There is actually an app on my phone (livestrong) that has every food info you'd ever want, including fast food and restaurant meals.

Well, I hope you survive your day..it sounds like you will be exhausted by the end! Talk about burning cals. Your getfit program sounds great, what a good idea!

Happy Birthday to Mark!! Bring on the teenage years! They will be fun.

Sarah said...

One of the things on my mind lately, particularly with our Get Fit challenge, has been how God made our bodies to glorify him. He designed our bodies to endure the most extreme physical trials. I keep telling myself that when I am hurting and tired from the exercise.

I love what Matthew told Chris....what a little sweetie!

mholgate said...

Good for you! Being fit is so important if we are to keep up with our children! I struggle with drinking the amount of water I should have every day. Even with a water bottle I seldom make it.

Sounds like you have been very busy! Have a wonderful Easter! Let us know how the musical went! :)

-Melissa