Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm in pictures!

I am so excited! One of my favorite websites is having a contest. It is a photo contest. All you have to do is enter a picture of yourself with one of your favorite girlfriends. If your photo is chosen you might get your photo published...in like...a real book! HOW COOL IS THAT?!

In the beginning I thought, "all of my pictures are of my boys. There's no way I can enter this contest. " But then I thought about the women in my life. And my mind was immediately drawn to my grandma. She could not speak English. She was the humble wife of a traveling evangelist. She managed her household and cared for the needs of all eight of her children on that modest evangelist's salary.

She was my first baby sitter, and since I couldn't speak Spanish and she couldn't speak English there was a real barrier there. But she was patient and we overcame that barrier. She taught me love, total acceptance, and of course Spanish.

When I graduated High School she was there. I was the first grandchild she got to watch graduate. She made sure to wear her Sunday best as that day was as important to her as it was to me. And I was honored she was there.

I moved away from her when I was 19. The year before she had suffered a pretty severe stroke. It left her wheel chair bound. She could use a walker, but it required strong assistance. When I came home for my wedding she insisted she be in attendance. It took everything she had to stand when I came down the aisle, but she did. And when the ceremony was over she was the first one I went to. Her presence was her blessing on my union to my husband. And it was one of the most precious highlights of my day.

I was overwhelmed with emotion as I remembered those moments, and eagerly entered them in the contest. If you'd like to see my photos, and many more girl friend photos, or if you want to enter your own special picture go here.

If you enter good luck, and if not take a moment to think about that special woman who has always been there for you--whatever her title--friend, mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, or in my case Hero, and say a prayer of thanks for her, because you never know, someone may be thanking God for you!

No comments: