Dear Little Noah,This time seven years ago I was practicing my breathing while your dad made small talk on the way to the hospital. I was supposed to be on my way to a doctor's appointment at 9:30, but you had other plans. With the first there is so much anticipation, fear of the unknown. You being the third however, we knew pretty much what to expect. So, instead of daddy putting his hazards on and walking me up to the birthing floor, he pulled into the covered loading zone and unloaded me. From there I took the elevator up to the third floor with one doctor, a resident whose eyes were as big as saucers, and a technician. I think the resident thought she was going to have to deliver me. I made it to the nurses station okay, and daddy was proud that he made it to a good parking spot okay.
I was in labor with you for only three short hours. They seemed to fly. You came into the world at 12:07 pm, and had the darkest hair I had ever seen. Your hair always fascinated me--you had so much of it. I remember when you were born I could not hold you fast enough. I was really frustrated by how long it was taking the very thorough nurse to finish your assessment.
I've watched you grow into a sensitive, sweet, curious little boy. You've flooded the sandbox to see what happens, you've cut your hair twice to see what it looked like, you've climbed your brother's dresser to see how high you can go, and you've discovered that mascara doesn't look that good on you. But you've also confessed the Lord as your Savior, promised to follow Him even if He never takes your eczema away, and sang His praises since you could make sound.
You are His child, and I feel this HUGE debt of gratitude to God because He chose me--flaws and all--to be your mom. I love how you still love to snuggle with me. I love how you still like holding my hand-- you're the last one. I love how I am your best friend--even when I hurt your feelings. I love that you won't let daddy include your name on my gift unless you personally helped pick it out. I love that you still run into my arms every day after school. Even when you are a bit too excited and jump too high and bust my lip.
You are precious. And I pray that everyday would reveal more to you of who God is in your life. I hope everyday you draw closer to knowing what it is He wants you to do, and that you do it with all of your heart. I pray you would know true friendship, and that even when the days are bad you would still sing His praises. These are my birthday wishes for you. But honestly, it is I who received the gift seven years ago, and I celebrate that gift with all of my heart. I love you sweet boy.

4 comments:
Happy Birthday Noah!!! I believe that Noah is already showing that he will live up to his name. He is a little boy of great faith and he is going to grow into an amazing man. He weathers the storms and comes out seeing rainbows all around.
Each time you write about Noah I'm impressed by his attitude. He is too young to have developed that all on his own. I know you pray for him ... you also give him a Christ-like example to follow. He is in good hands ... and God hands. What a blessing.
Well, I think Paige summed Noah up eloquently! Ditto what she said!
I love Noah so much! I'm pretty sure he's president of the Miss Sarah Fan Club (although I'm pretty sure he's head of MANY fan clubs). I am not sure why I am so fortunate to have won his affection, but just like you Elaine, I am thankful for the love I receive from him!
You are raising 3 beautiful boys who know the importance of bringing glory to our Father. God will continue blessing you through your boys because of the godly mother you are.
Happy Birthday, precious Noah! I love you bunches!
Well, first of all, thanks for making me cry with your comments on my blog!
I remember knowing surprising us all with his entrance into this world. My favorite memory of Noah is when I took he and Matthew to eat dinner at McDonald's the night that you were in the ER with Mark's bicycle-moving-mishap! In the middle of eating, he got up, came around the table and gave me a big hug and said, "I love you Miss Gayla". Melted my heart! I know that I have a young lady in my house that loves him so very much and gets so excited when she catches a glimpse of him. He is such a sweet boy!
Thank you Paige. I do like to think that some of who he is comes from how he's been raised, but at the same time I am glad that not ALL of who he is comes from how he's being raised. Because sometimes I make some really big mistakes. But you are right, he's so happy go lucky. He always notices the rainbows before we do.
And Sarah, he wanted to call you so badly on his birthday. He said "mom can we call Sarah today and tell her it's my birthday?" I don't believe he was expecting anything, but instead I think he just loves you so much that he wanted you to be a part of his celebration. He does love you dearly.
He was a little surprise wasn't he Gayla? I remember the apprehension that came with the thought of a third, but now I can NOT imagine how empty my life would be without him. He truly lives up to his name. God appointed him to this family, and I am so glad He did. And Noah's always had this great knack for finding good people to love.
Post a Comment