Friday, May 21, 2010

Heavenly Memories

I ate some cornbread and honey tonight. And it made me think of you. It reminded me of the yummy garden fresh meals Nanny would make--meatloaf with summer squash, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and lots of onions. Always served with a side of warm cornbread. And I smiled.

But it's hard not to smile when I think of you. You taught me how to whittle and even trusted a little eight year old with her own carving knife (even though the blade was only two inches long). You would push me on the swing until I knew my feel would touch the sun. Every Sunday you let me climb up into your lap and you would read the funnies (as you called them) to me. I remember we read Peanuts, Blondie, and "that old Andy Capp". I LOVED listening to you read. I remember the feeling of my hand in yours, and how one of your fingernails was deformed from hitting it with a hammer. But I loved it anyway.

When I was little I don't remember you telling me a whole lot about God--not with your words anyway. Now that I am much older, I think the concept of a heavenly Father who loves you unconditionally is so easy to grasp because that is the kind of love you had for me. I only remember getting a swat from you one time, but that one swat broke my heart. I NEVER wanted you angry at me again.

But you never stopped loving me--when I left home, when I quit college, when I married young, when I had Mark early. Each phase in my life was met with your love. I miss you like crazy these days. Your memory though, makes me smile. I hope my life today is making you proud. And I am so grateful that God gave me a great-grandpa like you. He knew a little child would question who He was. And He knew that you would be the perfect man to show her. Thank you Clarencie. You're gone, but not forgotten, and when it's time, I'll know right where to find you!

No comments: