I had the help of some amazing moms, one in particular, thank-you-very-much-Cyndi-Morgan, to put on the most awesome 5th grade banquet EVER! We enjoyed every moment, and every decorating disagreement. Believe me, when you have more than one OCD woman, there are many decorating disagreements. But, they were resolved with laughter, love, and compromise to give the kids a day filled with memories of their final times together.

And Matthew went on to finished the year receiving the presidential award for maintaining a 3.5 GPA all year!!
And while I wasn't part of the decorating committee for Mark's 8th grade banquet, I did get to see the room all jazzed up. Yet more than admire the decorations, I got lost in the moment as I watched my son turn into a true young man. That night turned the hourglass over and now time is counting down the next three years before his junior prom.
Then the end of the year came and he managed to show off again as he received the Roy T. Grimes award ( a special award his school gives) for maintaining straight A's all year--even in pre-ap classes. Now he's sitting at a 4.5 GPA.
Matthew still has a road ahead of him--and a BIG part of me feels completely helpless because I don't know how to help a dyslexic 6th grader, or 7th grader, or...you get the point. And Mark, well, he's closer to getting out. He's closer to realization of his own dreams. I think I am more apprehensive about his journey than I was my own. Some might call that wisdom, I think it's more experience mixed with fear of the unknown.
Every year I swear I am going to enjoy time with my kids more--yet the time flies by and I scratch my head and say "HUH?!" I have three more summers before Mark is gone. I want to cherish it. I want him to cherish it, and maybe he won't right now. But for both of them, maybe they will look back and remember the joy our family shared, and know that truly they are loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment