My parents never really instituted any real traditions with us, and it is the one thing I was adamant about doing with my own kids.
Sometimes traditions can become burdensome, especially when we are so busy. But on the flip side those same traditions allow us an opportunity to slow down and enjoy the moment right now.
We have such a tradition during Halloween. The boys carve pumpkins. They have done so since Mark was old enough to pick out a pumpkin.
It tends to be messy and takes an entire evening, but when it is all over they are so happy and the pumpkins always look great. This is Chris' time with the boys. It is too yucky for me. But he is great to take them every year and let them pick out the perfect pumpkin and then bring them home and help them carve and clean them.
They also dressed up for Halloween. I am very excited because this year they have gotten to wear their costumes FOUR times! We definitely got our money's worth this time. But after thinking about it I am amazed at how well their costumes fit their personalities.
Matthew chose to be the Tinman. He tried to memorize the song the
Tinman sings in the Wizard of Oz but never got it down. Yet he is so like the Tinman. He can cry at the drop of a hat, and he has a bigger heart than he knows and will reach out to anyone who touches it.
How is it they have the same parents, same genetics, yet they are each so unique? I am glad they each have their own personalities. I have loved watching them develop. And I pray they will always remember, with much fondness, the memories we worked so hard to give them. Because I know that Chris and I are both grateful for all the memories they have given us.
1 comment:
I think you need to tell us more about you. So I am tagging you! Check out my blog for details!
Post a Comment