Well, Mark and Matthew and Chris all made it back from Camp Dry Gulch, July 13th. The arrival day was long, as it was a ten hour drive. Actually, it took almost 11 hours coming home. So the wait was excruciating--not as bad as the drive however (or so I am told).
Remember the scene in the movie The Color Purple where Celie sees her sister for the first time in MANY years?? Nettie has just come back from Africa and Celie finally recognizes her and screams NEE--TEE!!!!
Well that is kind of what Matthew did when he got off of the van. Yes, my Matthew. Daddy's boy who had daddy with him all week. He was the second one off the van and ran straight towards me. I screamed "MATH-YOU!!" He jumped into my arms and wrapped his rather long legs around my waist and just cried into my shoulder. I cried with him. He was so happy to be home to me. I was so happy someone missed me, but I did not expect it to be Matthew.
The camp was wonderful my bunch said. And even though it is such a long drive Chris was completely sold on the camp and said he would make the drive all over again--it was definitely worth it he felt.
They got to swim, they got to ride a wave rider, they got to ride horses,
and they got to race go-karts. Each activity was loads of fun for all of them--except the wave runner. Chris nearly drowned. Really. They had to throw out the preserver to him. So I know that the water activities are safe as the lifeguards saved my hubby.
The theme was "The Journey". They talked about things you need on your journey in this world. The big thing the pastor tried to teach the kids was "if you've got it...use it." He mentioned how we have God's word as a sword; it's not an effective weapon unless we use it. And how God has us in a place for a reason and we need to work in that place. WOW! What a powerful message for a bunch of kids under the age of 12. It's a message that I have a hard time remembering as an adult. But I pray that the seeds planted during this time will take root, and that those words will hold weight with them in the tough times. Because I know there will be tough times.
I always remembered camp as a mountain top experience. I hope it is that for my boys too. I don't think Matthew would have made it without Chris, but I still hope he got something out of it. More than anything else I want my kids to impact the world. I know that I am not the best example for them to follow in that direction. But I pray that
when they are on the mountain with God that they will come back glowing just like Moses did.
And you know... I think they did a little bit this time.
1 comment:
I wish I could have been there to see the reunion. I know it was sweet! Your boys have hearts of pure gold!
Post a Comment