This morning I was fed up with telling him to SCOOT BACK. So I got him dressed and took him to the local eye doctor. All of my boys have glasses. Mark got them when he was in first grade, Matthew got them in pre-k, and now Noah will wear them. He was such a big boy upon exam. And when the doctor asked him if the final prescription helped he replied "Yes, most definitely!" Mind you he is only 6. Then, we went to the eyeglass store and he chose his first pair of glasses.
Apparently every other parent in our hometown is getting glasses for their kids this week also as the selection was low. But he found a pair he seemed to like. And luckily with his little face they fit well also. Mark's first pair were entirely too big for his face and every time Chris looks at pictures of that first pair he almost breaks down in tears because we let Mark wear "such big glasses". I think it bothers Chris because he made fun of me in high school because of my glasses. And looking at Mark's picture brings him tremendous guilt because it reminds him of how ugly he was to me(at least that is what I like to think).

While we were at the eye doctor Chris called home. Mark (my oldest) told him I took Noah to the doctor because he woke up and couldn't see. So I got a panicked message from Chris asking what is wrong with Noah's eyes because Mark told him Noah can't see. When I called to explain where we were, Chris was rather flustered to say the least. I described Noah's first pair. We've had the same conversation with each child, "You can pick whatever pair you want, but you will HAVE to wear them all year so be sure you like them. A Lot." When I got off the phone, Noah replied from the back seat, "Mom thank you for encouraging me with your words. I am excited to wear new glasses now." After he got his glasses on he sat in a chair looking out the window while I finished up with the technician. I have watched everyone of my boys the first time they get glasses, and the look of amazement on each of their faces always overwhelms me. When Mark got his first pair, he said he could see the leaves on the trees now. Today, Noah said "Mom when that lady was leaving in her car I could see her eyeballs from inside the store!" At dinner he had a praise for the evening prayer. He wanted to thank God for the money to buy his new glasses, and we did. He's growing up so fast, and glasses or not, he's one neat kid!
5 comments:
OK - I swear I posted this comment earlier but I don't know what happened to it! I said that Noah's glasses make him look wise and grown up. Clarissa wants glasses so bad and I'm not going to rush to tell her that Noah got glasses because she'll REALLY want them! Tell him I think he looks very handsome with his new glasses.
Thanks for joining my contest. I bet that bunny is so busy at your house.
Your boys are so handsome. Great choice on the new glasses! It is such a blessing that we can just go buy glasses in our country. How often I forget how much we truly have.
Aww Thank you, Gayla. I could so see Clarissa in some cute frames though. I thought the same thing when he put them on, he looks so grown up. I really had to choke back tears. Then my sister said "Oh they make him look so smart." He was so nervous about what people would think. But he picked out such a good pair that he's heard only compliments. I will be sure to tell him what you said.
Thank you Reese! I am excited to see who wins. And I have to admit I do have a handsome bunch--this will be their first Easter picture where they are all in glasses.
But you're right, we take such "luxuries" for granted. We've even had times when buying a new pair was enough to put US over the edge. But God always provided, and I am grateful.
I think Noah did a great job picking out his glasses. I love that he thanked you for encouraging him with your words. What a sweetheart.
I got glasses when I was in the first grade. My mom let me pick out my own frames. She couldn't understand why I picked these ugly brown ones that I did. Until she met my first grade teacher ... then it was perfectly clear. I looked just like her. EEEKKK!!!
Noah looks so grown up! What a doll!
Post a Comment