We've been married 14 years. So when you do the math (which I know you are doing right now). That means we got married when Chris was 22. We were total babies! So I've gotten to watch him celebrate lots of birthdays and really watch him grow into a man. And he always enjoys the low key celebrations the best.
So this year, I took him out to eat at one of his favorite places--Shogun. Then I baked him a strawberry cake and for dinner we celebrated with our children while eating soft tacos. His gifts were things he needed (which he prefers) and my mom spoiled him with a gift card to one of his other favorite restaurants. And since you all know me I thought I would share some interesting things about Chris so you could get to know him as well.
1. He isn't afraid to take ANYTHING apart--regardless of it's cost--he believes he can always put it back together.
2. He doesn't mind cooking and in fact it is a chore we've shared since the day we became a couple.
3. He is very humble and never toots his own horn.
4. He is more outgoing than I and can conversate with anyone.
5. He's not afraid of hard work, nor does he run from it.
6. He got his hand caught in an old time washing machine ringer when he was a small child and has permanent damage to his left hand as a result.
7. He didn't have sweets available in his home when he was growing up.
8. He was an AMAZING runner when he was in school (and I was quite attracted to him in his track shorts).
9. He wasn't a believer until after we were married.
10. He was ordained as a deacon in January 08.
11. He has more faith than I do and therefore rarely gets worked up.
12. He hates confrontation and will shut down rather than stir things up (which drives me crazy as I would rather talk it all out).
13. He is great at reading a map.
14. BUT he's not afraid to stop and ask for directions.
15. If I would let him he would wear his New Balance running shoes with absolutely every thing.
16. He is perfectly okay with me letting laundry overflow out of the laundry basket onto the floor.
17. He will ALWAYS let me have the last bite.
18. He will watch the boys play any sport they want--even if he knows nothing about it.
19. He will watch Lifetime on occasion.
20. He has carried Noah on his shoulders since Noah was an infant and Noah now no longer asks--he just points and Chris knows.
21. He gives me complete control of our finances and never asks for me to explain myself when funds are tight.
22. He struggles in many of the same way our dyslexic son does, but was never tested.
23. He never went to college.
24. He is smarter than anyone else I know in his profession and can talk numbers til your head spins.
25. He is loyal to a fault.
26. He has cooked Wednesday dinner for our church faithfully for the last five years--even when he had to use his only day off to do so.
27. He picked on me mercilessly in high school.
28. I did not know after graduation that he secretly told his co-workers how he WOULD make me his.
29. He chews his nails when he is bored or nervous.
30. He is almost always the one who irons all of our clothes for the next day.
31. He insists I drive the nicer car.
32. His car doesn't have A/C and two of the four windows won't roll down.
33. He will help me in the church nursery even if I don't ask.
34. He adores his nieces.
35. He thanks me on a regular basis for never having delivered a baby girl.
36. He is one of the best men I know and I am so glad I have been here to celebrate his last fourteen birthdays.
Happy Birthday My Love! Your Life is a Gift I thank God for with each passing year!

4 comments:
Happy Belated Birthday to Chris ... sounds like you've got quite a friend in him ... and so much more. God bless the next 14 years.
Elaine, I ran into Jay at that Chamber of Commerce banquet in Friona. He told me he and Chris share a birthday.
I love the servant, husband, father, and follower of God that Chris is. God bless you, Chris! You are loved!
Thank you for all your birthday wishes. The best gift I get is celebrating with my family every year, and new socks. Those are always good.
Paige I do have a good guy! He is so easy to please. I sometimes think I don't do enough for him.
Sarah, it's too funny that you went all the way to Friona to see Jay! He's been like a spiritual father to Chris since Chris came to Christ. When we found out that he shared Chris' birthday we felt even more blessed to know such a man. Plus, even though we think of him as closer to our age, he's really only a year younger than my dad. I love teasing him and telling him he REALLY is old enough to be my dad! He doesn't think it's too funny!
And Love, I will buy you socks forever if it makes you happy.
Post a Comment