Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Piece That Finally Fits Pt II



Part II in a II part series. Feel free to read part one here if you want to catch up, but be prepared to stay a few minutes if you do).

So God knew from the moment that this child was created that he would need special people at special times. And while so many times in my own life, my small faith makes me wonder if God sees me, looking at Matthew's life is a billboard sized reminder that He does see and He does move on my behalf.

This sweet angel has always walked differently than my other two gifts from God. He was born sucking his thumb, but he was born with the ability to look deeply into an other's soul. When he was born I was glowing in the moments afterwards. Cuddling him and singing to him. I had a friend who came in immediately after his birth and she was overwhelmed at how intently he was looking at me. Little did I know that he would always be that way.

Because he sucked his thumb he grew with a speech impediment, so he was HARD to understand. But he had one friend, Ms. Monica, who he loved. She never seemed bothered by his impediment. And he loved her. And she was probably one of the first adults outside of the family that he bonded with. When we went to church he looked for her. I think his positive interaction with her made it easier for him to bond with other adults.

When he was in pre-k I was told he was easily distracted and therefore became a distraction. It broke my heart that this teacher couldn't see past his short comings and love him the way I did.

He doesn't like change in his routine. And I am blessed that due to various circumstances he's had the same Sunday school teacher since he was 2. She took a break and he had a different teacher when he was in the second and third grade, but how excited he was to get her back! She has taught him the books of the bible, and he can now look them up without looking at the table of contents. She has given him a love for God's word, and we are blessed to have Dina in his life.


I remember in February of his first grade year as we were neck deep in struggles I found a lump in my breast. The same friend who saw him after birth really encouraged me to go get it checked out--IMMEDIATELY. And I remember our conversation very clearly as I sat and played with my spaghetti. I was afraid of the unknown, but I was more afraid that if something happened no one would be there to stand up for Matthew. I said "Who's gonna fight for Matthew?" She replied "I will." And she did. She pulled out all of her connections to find the perfect tutor for Matthew. God used Gayla to provide for His child.

And Sarah, never did private tutoring before. But she had that quiet gentle spirit in common with Matthew. So many of their early days were spent fighting through tears. But she got him through it. I think of how their relationship has grown. From tutor to student into this beautiful love that is as deep as any he shares with me. Sometimes there are days when he just goes to hang out with Miss Sarah, and he loves it. But regardless of what he's doing at Sarah's she has become a vital part of his life. She's one of his biggest cheerleaders, one of his biggest encouragers, still his teacher, and always his soft place to fall and his shelter from the harshness that his struggles have brought him. If God never did another thing for Matthew, we could not thank Him enough for the gift of Sarah.

Last year, he had this amazing reading teacher who taught outside of the box. She taught strategies through songs and formulas. Before we even knew that he was dyslexic God placed Mrs. Smith in his life because He knew that is the way Matthew learns best. And for the first time he learned to love reading.

This year, his Language Arts teacher saw the same disconnect that Sarah, I, and all who know Matthew saw. She encouraged testing. We were so nervous. We were hoping that he was dyslexic. That sounds crazy, but we've heard all of his life that he needs to try harder to learn this or that, that he's a distraction, that he's not getting it. Those were lies from Satan. No child I know works harder than Matthew. So testing positive was a blessing. And we are SO grateful that Mrs. Archer gave her all for him.

I recently attended a bible study with Sarah and the subject was Abram's journey. If you really trace it, God takes him WAAAY out of the way only to bring him back to where he started. I understand that journey now. Because there were days when I felt like we were so off course. I didn't know where we would end up, but God knew. He's ordered EVER step of this child's journey. And Matthew has obediently followed. And God has faithfully blessed.

How I wish I had such faith. How I wish I trusted so completely. But like I said, Matthew's life is evidence that God loves each and everyone of us. I've shared before that his name is Matthew Emmanuel. Which means Gift from God; God with us. Those words ring true. He is my gift from God, and God is with him. I feel so unworthy to be his mother, what a gift he is to me. But I am grateful for his life in mine.

Thank you God for growing me through Matthew's life. Thank you for keeping your hand over him. Thank You for pouring Yourself into him in spite of my imperfections as a mom. He is who he is because of who You are in his life. Thank You for placing people in his life always at the right time to remind him of Your presence. I can not wait to see how he grows to serve You. And when he does, I pray You will receive all honor and glory. For You are the Marvelous One who created him, and all who know him come away more blessed with a glimpse of You.

Friend, I feel compelled to tell you this: If you are struggling with the journey you are on right now take heart. Trust that God sees the road ahead. Trust that He has ordered every step--no matter how hard it is, and He will bring you through it. Trust that if He moves so many mountains in a small child's life that He will do the same for you. And when you walk in obedience God will be there in faithfulness.

11 comments:

Gayla said...

The hardest battles are the sweetest victories! I know that Matthew will be victorious over this challenge!

Mommahen said...

What a beautiful saying. I sat tonight and watched Jay Leno interview the President of the United States and thought "Wow. I wonder if that dyslexic kid ever imagined this."

Thank you for all you did to help him. He is a sum of all who deposited themselves into him.

Reese said...

What a sweet,sweet post
Thanks!

CindyC said...

Thank you for inviting us into part of your journey.
Blessings to you and your family!

Cheryl said...

Such a wonderful reminder for people going through rough times. God knows the next step(s) in our future. It is so comforting. Thank you for a beautiful post.

mholgate said...

What a sweet story! I love how God uses our children to grow us. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I feel like I know you and your family a little better now and I am blessed for it!

Have a wonderful weekend!
-Melissa

secondofwett said...

I have a sweet little grandson born almost 8 years ago, born with many disabilities ....his speech is still not very good and he struggles very hard to communicate...he's our very first grandchild and I see him as a true miracle. He is special in our hearts. I'm glad the Lord gave him to us.

D said...

Thank you for sharing your story and using it to inspire others. You have such a wonderful way with words - I truly enjoy reading your posts every week. Thanks again for sharing with us. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
D

Sarah said...

I have never been so touched by a child as I have by Matthew. God knew we needed each other. I love him like my very own!

Anonymous said...

Visiting a little late. Thanks for sharing. Hope you will have a great week ahead.

Rachel Anne said...

One of the things that struck me in your story is the wonderful people, like Sarah, that God has placed in your life. You've been given some very precious gifts through Matthew and it's really beautiful.

I think what you've shared is so encouraging and heartwarming to many parents who are trying to help their child overcome and work through their disabilities. And I use the word disability with care because I don't mean it in any disparaging way at all. Maybe "challenges" would be a better word? But how our hearts break for the beauty that WE can see that others maybe can't in the child we love so much. Just seeing the love you have for Matthew is a beautiful picture. I would love to see what his life will hold...God's got a very special plan for him.