One of my favorite things to do is come up with new bible lessons for my kiddos to learn every Sunday. This past week they heard the story of the Basket Boat based on Exodus 2:1-10. It is the story of baby Moses. The children got to color their own basket boat and then place a baby and a "blanket" in their basket. The children were told (in the best way we can for a bunch of 4 year olds) that God has a plan for each of us.
While they simply learned the story of Moses, I got to study his mom, Jochebed. This was really a fascinating story to me. Sometimes I feel so insignificant. I am only a housewife, I've not received a salary in eight years, and I never finished my college degree. Studying Jochebed reminded me of the importance each person has. She was nothing more than the housewife of a slave--therefore she too was a slave. I know as bad as things have been in my life I've never known slavery. Yet, she did not let her circumstances dictate her faith. When Moses was born she knew what the law was. She was supposed to toss him in the river. But she didn't. She trusted God to take care of her and her baby. And that faith even got her name mentioned in the Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11:23). Yet she was only a slave and a mother--nothing significant in those times. She was simply trying to save her baby's life, but God used her walk with Him to also save a nation. She never stopped believing there was a way to save her son. She didn't give up. I don't think she knew the eternal consequences of her plan. She just took each day in faith. She comforted Moses until she was afraid his cries would give him away. Isaiah 66:13 says, "As a mother comforts her son, so I will comfort you." Wow. I will always think of Jochebed when I read this verse. She comforted her son, even though it may have meant her life.
In the same way, God seeks to comfort me. I only need to take that first step of faith, like Jochebed did. She went on to raise three children who had great influence in their time. Her faith was passed on to her children, and her life spoke through them. That is my biggest desire--more than money, or fame, I want my children to have amazing, earth moving faith. On those days when I feel so insignificant I need to remember Jochebed. I need to place the things I value in the basket boat and trust that God has a plan for them. What about you? Is there a situation you need to trust God with today. Know that just because you don't see tomorrow, doesn't mean it is out of control. God is guiding your basket straight to the place He has ordained, and it will be good.

2 comments:
Thankyou for visiting ....that was very special that you asked God to protect our hearts....with adoption I've found that your hearts are constantly on the line....very difficult.
Dearest Elaine - Never, ever think that you are insignificant! It's obvious that you are doing God's work, in raising your kids and being brave enough to teach four year old Sunday school! You are the example of "amazing, earth moving faith" for them, and you are doing a great job!
I had to laugh at your "squirrel mafia" remark in your comment on my coffee break post - we have a black walnut tree out front, and I know what you mean about the squirrels going crazy for nuts.
We just finished a study on Revelation - the description of heaven didn't mention squirrels that I could see... =^)
Diane
Post a Comment