"My home is God's garden therefore I must till it well. Removing the weeds of strife, planting seeds of love, watering with sprinkles of laughter, and fertilizing with food of His word." Elaine
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Out of the mouths of babes
Tonight my children and I rushed home from our favorite restaurant (Chili's of course) to watch the final taping of Steve Irwin's adventures. I have loved Steve Irwin since I began watching him shortly after the birth of my oldest, Mark. It seemed as though his show was always on when Mark was up to eat in those early months. He had such a charismatic spirit that I was for some strange reason drawn to him. I remember family members watching with me and wondering what exactly it was that I found so fascinating. As my children got older however, Steve's show was one of the few they could watch without me sitting with my hand on the remote ready to turn at a moments notice because I was in fear of what they might see or hear. Tonight when it was all over, Matthew (my hyper sensitive child) looked over at me, with tears in his eyes, and said he was so sad for Bindie and her family. But he told me he knew Steve was in heaven. I asked him how he knew. He said, "because he loved all of God's creatures so much. And you can't love all of God's creatures if you don't love Him." It took a while for the weight of his words to really sink in. But it was the meaning behind them that hit me hardest. See, to his childlike spirit, love of God equals love of others. In other words he judges a believer by his fruits. Hmmm...seems as if I recall someone else saying they shall know you by your fruits. Matthew 7:15-20 So what message then does he get from me? When I am impatient with his "I have to enjoy this moment" spirit does he know me by my fruits? When he sees me second guessing his daddy does he know me by fruits? When he sees me short on words with his all knowing big brother does he know me by my fruits? I recall a time when we went to a Tech football game with our oldest two. Down in front of us were some men REALLY enjoying the game. Their actions and their breath told us (so did the small flask they continually drank out of). How they could get THAT joyous from such a small flask is still a mystery to me. I really started getting frustrated because we were trying to enjoy the game and there were these crazy guys keeping us from it--truly they were quite obnoxious. It ended up being a pretty good win for Tech (to every one's surprise). So these guys decided to leave early. When they did they turned around and gave my two boys their clickers. If you have never been to a Tech football game they have these noise makers that you "click" during the other teams third down. The boys acted as though they had won the 50 yard line field goal for the big screen t.v. I really felt bad at that moment because I had continuously told them to leave the men in front of them alone--they are too busy enjoying the game to be bothered. What I really meant was leave the men in front of you alone they are making adults look completely ridiculous. I have since come to realize that it should have been I reaching out in kindness to them--after all didn't I know the ONE who really knows how to party? John 2:1-10 He did go back to his home to prepare me a place! John 14:2 Matthew spoke so much truth tonight. When we are attached to the vine it is impossible to keep from growing fruits. I do pray Steve Irwin is in heaven, and I ask Lord that you would always help me to give off the kind of fruit that others recognize as yours. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment