"My home is God's garden therefore I must till it well. Removing the weeds of strife, planting seeds of love, watering with sprinkles of laughter, and fertilizing with food of His word." Elaine
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Washing Clothes
I hate laundry. Really I do. And I am so obsessive/compulsive that I can't just wash all the darks together. I have to wash the greens and grays together, then the blues, then the true darks--anything navy or black, browns yellows and off whites go together as one load, then there are reds. But not simply reds--dark reds, and then the pinks and oranges. As I sit right now I need to wash clothes, especially before the pipes freeze and all we have left to wear is our underwear in the sub freezing temperatures. But what I hate more than actually washing is putting the clothes up. I have gotten somewhat better about that though. I used to put them in a laundry basket and let them pile up in Chris's corner of the room. I knew it was time to fold them when either I need to 1) use the basket for more laundry again or 2) Chris could not get into his closet. I have calculated it out--on an average week we wear 35 shirts, 35 pairs of pants, 35 pairs of socks, roughly 25 pairs of underwear (you have to remember that I DO have boys), and 25 towels. I have issues using other peoples towels--I don't know what end they use for what. THEN I don't dry everything because of shrinkage (hey when you're fluffy you can't afford to loose inches on your jeans). So if I do ALL of the laundry I don't have enough room to lay everything out to dry. But what I DO love is the way they smell after they're clean. I have finally found a good smelling softener. I searched for softeners like some people would search for fine wines. And I LOVE the way they smell afterwards. Too bad we have to wear them again and wear the smell out. But I DO enjoy the smell. This got me to thinking...again. The laundry reminds me of some of the most tedious jobs I perform in the Lord. I hate doing it--sometimes I put it off until I can't get around it--but I love the end result. Seeing a child sing The bible is a special book, special book, special book. The bible is a special book for all of us to read. (to the tune Mary had a little lamb) is the best. Doing laundry is a never ending job--just as His ministry is never ending. Maybe if I start washing daily it won't seem like so much all at once. Maybe if I start ministering where I am at daily it won't seem like so much all at once. So..anyone want to have a laundry party? We can start at my house first!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Try this....whites/grays & light blues,greens,pinks/dark colors/towels. That has worked out great for me! Seriously, you are right. I love how you have used something as mundane as laundry to cover a very important topic. I was just trying to drive this home to my son today. Results don't happen without hard work and practice. That is true with anything in life. Sports, schoolwork, even making/keeping friends. This would certainly hold true for our relationship with God. Through prayer, acts of kindness, going to church (even when we don't want to), and so many more small steps we are finding our way to God. When this happens there is no greater reward!
TL
I hate dishes! That is the household chore I hate most! I too have a particular laundry detergent and fabric softener I love. Doesn't quite smell the same when I don't use it!
Elaine! I enjoy your writing always. Especially since I know your family. So neat to read. What does MOmahen mean? Love Johnnie
TL, as logical as that sounds when I tried to separate the laundry that way, my mind just went nuts trying to process it. And please know that I love EVERY effort you have made to stay in touch. You never fail to make me feel special, and as busy as your life is I realize that it truly is an effort. I do not take that for granted. Love ya girl! Kiss that baby for me!
Johnnie, the Mommahen came from a church member who observed me one Sunday after service trying to round up my kids. They said I looked like a mother hen. Sometimes I do feel like a mother hen--don't get too close to my kids or you'll get the beak. If you've never been attacked by chickens it's hard to visualize. And your encouraging words are always a blessing to me.
Post a Comment