Today my kids had dental appointments. The oldest love of my life (my hubby) decided to schedule all three at the SAME TIME! He isn't used to taking kids to the doctor, but since he took the initiative to make the appointment, I decided to bite my tongue. While we were waiting in the appropriately named waiting room, my middle child decided to read a book to the baby. It was Green Eggs and Ham. Matthew has struggled since Kindergarten to read. Many people in his life were frustrated and at a loss as to what to do to help him last year--including me. But God placed an amazing spirit of a woman in our lives who helped Matthew see his potential and boosted his self esteem in ways that I was unable to. He is now reading much better...pretty much at grade level. He still has his days, but he is trying. And he used to HATE reading. He would never pick up a book to read on his own. As I was filling out paper work and listening to him read this book to his brother with real heartfelt expression I felt such pride in him. I did very little to get him to this point. I did pray a lot and wore out the knees in many a pair of jeans that way. But his accomplishments are mainly due to the hard work of himself and his God sent tutor. I have always believed that Matthew has an amazing job to fulfill in this world that only HE can fulfill--that God will use him to minister to others. He knows what it is like to doubt. Isn't it sad that the world teaches our children to doubt so early? Instead of encouraging them, teaching them to believe in themselves. I recently watched The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith (it is inspiring by the way), and in one scene Will tells his son who loves basketball, but is obviously not very good at it, that he should not plan to make a career out of the sport. He sees the disappointment this brings to his sons eyes, and Will tells him to NEVER let anyone tell him he can't do something, including his father. I felt the emotion of that moment. So Matthew, I want you to know that I think you can do amazing things. There is a plan in this world that only you can fulfill. And I can't wait to watch it all from the sidelines. Your name means gift from God--truly you are one of my greatest gifts. I love you. Oh, and I love Green Eggs and Ham too! Mommy
5 comments:
Matthew, I believe in you too! I can't wait to see what the Lord will do in your life!
Miss Sarah
Hello Elaine! I'm Angie, and I found my way here via Sarah's blog. I had already made a mental note that I really need to meet this 'Elaine' after reading a couple of your comments. I am loooong overdue for a trip to Lubbock & hope to make one sometime this year. So I was elated to see that you are a blogger!
But I wasn't prepared for this post... You have left me in tears! I'm so, so thankful to be a witness to the love you have for your God and your family, particularly in this glimpse of Matthew (whose comment at Sarah's was too precious!!!).
I read a lot of blogs and can tell when some writers are attempting to "manufacture a moment" (like an overly dramatic altar call or an emotional high at a camp or retreat!). But you cannot make up what I just read. You are a beautiful woman, Elaine! I'm so grateful to get to know you!
P.S. I can't wait to see The Pursuit of Happyness!
Angie, I was so touched, and humbled, by your comments. And I am so glad to have met you (all be it through the internet). I read Sarah's blog and am amazed at the WONDERFUL friends God has given her. How neat to have one of them visit my blog--I am honored. When our world traveler returns it would be a pleasure to meet you personally and introduce you to Matthew. Thank you again for your words.
Ok - I tried posting a comment earlier and it hasn't posted. It went somewhere else I guess. Well...what I said was this....we have certainly had a breakdown in communication because I didn't know you were a blogger! It makes me want to sing...I'm a blogger, she's a blogger, wouldn't you like to be a blogger too? Anyways...Angie is correct, you are a BEAUTIFUL lady and I'm honored to call you one of my very best friends (even though we need to work on talking more - obviously). You know how special Matthew is to me and I too know that God has a mighty plan for him and I am enjoying watching it unfold before our eyes! Love ya! Visit me at www.2giftsoftheheart.blogspot.com
Elaine, I just checked your blog out today! You speak the truth in "Really!?". I like washing clothes, but I only like washing MY clothes. You are my hero for washing a house-full! It is so exciting to watch your child transform before your eyes! To see him achieve something that seemed previously impossible. He has no idea how unstoppable he really is, but by God's grace he will. Thank you for joining the blogging world and thanks for reading my nutty blog!!!
Post a Comment